We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

EasyWay

What a fiasco. I booked the car 2 months in advance. I emailed the week before to ensure all was in order (and Jesus in Cancun confirmed is was). I had the concierge at our resort call the day before to ensure everything was in order (he spoke directly with the agent in the Tulum office –Gaudencio, and everything was supposed to be in order). We were supposed to have a car delivered to our resort and picked up there a week later. On the morning of the delivery, nothing showed up. Called and called got many excuses , finally reached Fernando in Cancun and he was frustrated that everything was clear the day before and now nobody seemed to know anything about it. Finally two guys from the Tulum office show up 2 hours late (tried to convince me that they were on time) and say they had just found out and were delivering the car (first lie, our concierge had spoken with him the day before, but he didn’t know that I knew this). Unfortunately they couldn’t leave the car as all the paperwork was back in town so I would need to go to town with them (and waste a couple more hours….second lie, they only had one car left so they had no way to get themselves back to town). The only car they had was a bucket of junk – dents on dents – obviously they didn’t really have a car for me and found this one at the last minute. I took it and discovered on the ride back to the resort it was leaking gas, smelled foul, filthy inside, barely wanted to start, completely unable to accelerate and downright unreliable. I immediately emailed Cancun requesting a different car. Never heard a word again from EasyWay. Sent 4 emails, none of which were answered. Drove the car to get groceries and once to the beach down the road, but it had difficulties starting so I couldn’t trust it. Pickup time arrives and nobody shows up. We called the personal 24hour cell phone of Gaudencio and nobody answered – so much for 24hour support in case of breakdown. Finally got the personal cell phone of Fernando in Cancun and he looked into it. An hour and a half later the Tulum agent shows up, insisting that he was on time as we arranged. I showed him the document that he signed clearly showing he was wrong; he says the document had the wrong time (third lie). Bottomline, this agency has a dishonest approach and the Tulum agent is the most untrustworthy. I guess we are just stupid gringos and should be treated as such.

Steer clear of EasyWay Tulum.

Topock, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

We have used easyway for the last 6 years with no problems. In some of those years we rented up to 4 different times. On our last trip, March 2013 they we're a no show with our car at ABR. The Easter holiday was at the end of last March, I new that it would be busy and when they we're a no show that didn't bother me, it's what happened after the hotel called for me to find out what happened. We we're told that they we're on the way, and to wait. After another 2 hours we called again. We we're told the car would be there shortly. It's a good thing the beer was cold, because they never showed up. We no how to travel in the Roo with out a car, so after wating for several hours we started our travels. We we're in contact with easyway for the next 3 day's. they never fixed there mistake. I guess easyway is not the easyway to go anymore!! On our next trip we will try another rental company, and I will use them until they force me to try another!!

maine
Level Contributor
482 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

We just rented from them with no major problems. However, I have e mail them a couple of days prior to our arrival to confirm arrangements. They have always shown up, even when our flight was late. My guess is that they are suffering from growing pains. When we were there in April, our flight was late so one would have thought that the car would be ready but we had to wait for them to clean it. The lot was totally empty, with the exception of a Mercedez (which was ready but they were disinclined to let us take it for the same price lol). If you look at their web site and compare it to just a year ago, it's clear that they are a rapidly growing company. Hopefully, they won't alienate their loyal customers while they work the kinks out.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

Do not use this company. We recently went to Mexico and I pre booked a rental car from easy way.

They turned up with a different car to the one we had asked for, it was in a poor condition, we had booked a GPS , there was no GPS and no apology. There were no number plates on the car, at the time we didn't realise that this would be a problem. As we left and headed to the various archaeological sites we wre stopped by police on at least eight different occasions, the reason why, we had no number plates, luckily the police were polite but it became a real nuisance constantly having to explain who we were. I e mailed easy way on our return to the UK to register our complaints and have yet to receive a reply.

Lastly beware, we only used our credit card with this company and three weeks after our return we were contacted by the fraud department saying our card had been used and over £2000 had been spent on it.

Bradenton, FL
Level Contributor
676 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

Bizarre. No number plates and your cc fraudulently used?! These are very serious charges. I hope you get a response from Easyway and that they also respond here on TA. Please keep us updated.

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

We had rented from them a few times over the years with no problems. Last time was two years ago. Rented two cars...one for us, one for in-laws. In-laws came home 1 week before us, emailed that their cc was frauded for $10,000 of airline tickets. The cc company caught it so in-laws were not responsible. When we returned home, like clockwork, our cc was hit up for $10,000 in airline tickets! EasyWay said it's their bank processing company doing this, not them. Many emails back & forth, then offered "next time" a deal. Not called them to claim the deal.

Thrifty actually has been cheaper from the airport since then. Sure they play "buy all our not so legit or understandable insurance & roadside assistance" game, which we don't, but all is fine.

I liked EasyWay. I hope they get their growing pains done soon.

Edited: 12:40 am, July 15, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

We made an internet reservation on EasyWay website to have car dropped off for a 3-day rental at a hotel a half-hour from Tulum. We got a confirmation number but nothing that really said "your reservation for such and such dates for such and such price has been confirmed; " also their website is confusing about rental times. So the day after our arrival (Sunday) we went to the Tulum office and spoke to the rep there. We confirmed that we wanted the car dropped off at our hotel (half hour away from Tulum) on Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. (but wanted the rental period extended to 4 days). We repeated this several times. At the appointed day and time, we showed up on the steps of our hotel and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... At 9:00 a.m. I called the phone number (which was posted on the door of the Tulum office). I explained the situation. The man who answered the phone asked what name the reservation was in, then after a while he apologized and said they would be there in 10 minutes. We were skeptical by this point but we waited ... and waited ... and waited. At 10:00 a.m., I called again. The man who answered said he had no record of our reservation, and his manager was away. For the first time he indicated that what I had reached was the Cancun office and not the Tulum office. I explained the situation again, and the fact that we had confirmed our reservation and drop-off time directly with the man in Tulum. He said he would call the Tulum office and have someone call us back. About an hour later we received a call from someone who said he was with Thrifty Car Rental in Tulum, and that he had been called by EasyWay to say they had a customer who needed a car for 4 days but EasyWay had no car available. Thrifty came to our hotel, picked us up and drove us to their offices. They had a mid-size car available which cost $15.00 per day more than the EasyWay price, and the 3rd party insurance which the EasyWay man told us would be covered in rental cost was not covered by Thrifty except in a separate insurance package which included Collision Damage Waiver (which we did not need because CDW is covered by our credit card company). We were told we could not decline CDW. So the rental charge wound up being twice the amount EasyWay had quoted us.

After we did the paperwork, we drove straight to the EasyWay Tulum office. First the man there (the same one we'd dealt with earlier) tried to say he'd showed up at 8:20, but we were not at the hotel. We said that we had been right at the front steps from 8:00-10:00. Then he said he had called his manager the day before to explain that he did not have a car for us. I asked why he said he'd showed up at the hotel if he already knew (the day before) that he didn't have a car for us. I said that in our opinion, EasyWay should be paying the difference in rental cost, since if we'd rented from Thrifty through the internet, we'd have got a much better deal. He claimed the Thrifty car was more expensive because it was a better car (Thrifty's car was slightly larger but didn't have GPS, something EasyWay had said was included with their car). We said that was not our choice to get a bigger car; it was the only car Thrifty had available at that point. At our insistence he called Thrifty but they would not lower their price. We asked to speak to his manager; he said his manager was in Merida for the day and could not be reached, and he could not give us the cell number. We said we didn't need the cell number, just needed him to call his manager so we could speak to the manager. Then he said he couldn't reach his manager because Merida was in a different state and the cell system meant the call could not go through. He said he would have his manager call us at 6:00 p.m. We never heard from the manager, and having wasted 5 hours of our vacation point by now, decided not to follow up.

In my opinion, EasyWay is unreliable and I question their honesty. We would certainly never arrange a rental with them again.

On the other hand, despite being more expensive, Thrifty was great to deal with. They were professional, their car was clean; they meticulously noted each dent or scratch on the car before renting to us; they pointed out that the gas tank was only half-full and should be returned half-full; and their paperwork was also meticulous. They explained the deposit procedure, prices, etc. They picked the car up from our hotel at the exact time they said they would, and the rep who picked up the car was very courteous and professional. So I would use Thrifty again despite the higher price (hopefully next time we'd get a better price by making an earlier, internet reservation).

Topock, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

Much the same happened to us last year. We have used Easyway for years without a problem, and have given them excellent reviews over those years. I can understand them not having the car that I reserved, but don't give me some B/S story about it.

We have our trip planned for next April, We will be using a different Car rental company for the first time in over 10 years. Our group has 3 cars rented from the same company. We will make a full trip report on our return!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

Just wanted to correct an error - the company we wound up renting from was Hertz, not Thrifty. Thanks.

19. Re: EasyWay Car Rental Tulum - Beware - Dishonest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 30, 2014