We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian dollars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian dollars

Hi, is it possible to exchange Canadian dollars at the banks in Tulum? I saw on the map that there's a HSBC in town. I figure it'd be better to exchange Canadian dollars in Mexico rather than to buy USD here and change them in Mexico. I'll use the ATM most of the time to get money but want to have some cash on me just in case. Thank you!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian dollars

Yes, you can exchange Canadian currency at any bank or cambio and typically you'll get a better rate that you will here.

However, I don't like arriving in a foreign country with no currency at all, so I usually get a small amount of pesos from a foreign exchange place at a local mall.

If that's not an option for you, there's a bank-affiliated ATM at the airport, so you could withdraw some pesos from your own bank account straight away.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,818 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian dollars

Not sure about Canadian money, but that HSBC bank in Tulum stopped exchanging USD several years ago, I know because I used to go there. There is another bank next to the San Francisco market in Tulum.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian dollars

Mexico has new laws regarding US$ that were implemented a few years ago, but not Canadian $. That might have something to do with it maybe???

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,833 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian dollars

I think banks' willingness to change cash for pesos varies, and yes it was about USD, not CAN.

But you can use the ATM machine(s) at the CUN airport to get cash in pocket before heading south. I know there are two Santander machines, but I think there's another one, not sure the bank.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian dollars

Nicolas you can order pesos from (m)any major Canadian bank and you can specify small denominations which can sometimes require effort to acquire , otherwise . The difference in exchange rate is small and only very slightly worse than the ATM withdrawls you will do later on . Useful small bills in your pocket on arrival for pennies more than ATM's .

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian dollars

I have seen banks, private cambios, and hotels exchange EC, GBP, Cnd, and US$

For Canadian $, it is very up and down - even though the CND $ is usually worth more than the US$ for the last year, most places will give you less - (hotels are actiually beter)

As per earlier advice, I bring 3000 pesos if around / above 12.5 for 1

I then use ATMs when I get there

I have a Scotia card so I try to get those machines to minimize fees

Calgary
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian dollars

Llisa,

Someone had suggested to exchange in Calgary at the money exchange in Chinook Mall, upper level I believe. You have to call or go in person for rates, but my understanding is you will do better on exchange than trying in Tulum.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,595 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian dollars

"Nicolas you can order pesos from (m)any major Canadian bank and you can specify small denominations which can sometimes require effort to acquire , otherwise . The difference in exchange rate is small and only very slightly worse than the ATM withdrawls you will do later on . Useful small bills in your pocket on arrival for pennies more than ATM's ."

I totally agree with juanrojo. I find we more and more frequently are simply ordering pesos from our bank before trips. I get very weary of trying to make sure I have enough 20s and 50s on hand for tipping, taxi rides, etc.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,905 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian dollars

"lisa,

Someone had suggested to exchange in Calgary at the money exchange in Chinook Mall, upper level I believe. You have to call or go in person for rates, but my understanding is you will do better on exchange than trying in Tulum."

These days, I usually just make sure I bring enough pesos home to last me the first couple of days of my next trip to Mexico. If I forget to do that, the forex place in Chinook is the one I use - they're convenient and give better rates than my bank. I just get enough to last a few days and then withdraw pesos from ATMs as and when I need them.

Confession: one time I completely forgot to get pesos and didn't have time to run to Chinook, so we just used some US dollars that we had lying around to tide us over those first few days. Perhaps I'll end up burning in hell for using dollars in Mexico but no-one really seemed to care.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian dollars

Hey NicolasQC

Need a Canadian bank, " ScotiaBank " is right on main steet Tulum, can't miss it. You get a good exchange if needed, on your Credit Card at that branch too.

Salute!

Sunshine_and_Beer

Get answers to your questions about Tulum