We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

Hi, partner and I are late 40's (high energy though!) and looking for a balance between all inclusive and smaller resort that is on a great beach and handy to great snorkeling. After much research on TA, narrowed down to these two choices. I know both would be OK for us, but really wanting to see what informed TA readers think of each. We do appreciate good food, but are not "foodies" per se. We will have a car, so evening drive for one night to Playa is probably something we will do. Don't need evening entertainment, but don't want to be feeling like we are in a rest home either. We are traveling mid-Dec for 5 days/4 nts. I did e-mail CRT and inquired if pools are heated in winter (they are not), so that was disapointing to hear (in case there is a bit of a coolness when we are there). ABR actually only rates 16 out of 21 for Akumal resorts, but I think the numbers are too skewed due to the sheer volume of visitors to the AI's in the area that push those numbers up against the smaller hotels. Can anyone out there offer some advice to push us to one vs the other? (I really like the proximity of the snorkeling at ABR but also like the jungle setting, on-site wildlife and dining options at CRT)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

Sorry, I can't help with the resorts. But if you post in the Xpu Ha forum where CRT is located (sorry, it's not near Tulum despite its name), you should get more help.

If you change your mind to a small Eco minded cabana hotel in Tulum, then let us know...we're happy to help.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

I don't have first hand experience of either but my understanding is that ABR is a 2 star resort on a 5 star beach. I think CRT will be a step-up resort-wise but don't know that you'll have the onsite snorkelling that I know ABR offers (although the turtles are usually found at the other end of the bay from where the resort is located).

I second Pepper's idea of reposting this on both the Xpu Ha and Akumal forums. Hopefully, someone who's actually been to both will chime in.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

Thanks for the advice. I'll re-post as well. Good point on the turtle locations.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

Check out the reviews for both, but you are comparing 2 very different resorts and atmospheres, 3 star vs 4 star and priced accordingly.

After reading the reviews for the Akumal Beach, we selected the CRT, with the plan to take a taxi to Akumal for some different snorkeling, yet enjoy being pampered a little at CRT.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

I am leaning towards CRT but was curious if the setting of ABR was so much greater (beach/snorkel-wise) to warrant putting up with the lower quality of the food and resort.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,991 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

There are good restaurants in Akumal - if that helps to decide. So if ABR is less expensive; then you would not feel guilty eating out more.

7. Re: Akumal Beach Resort or Catalonia Royal Tulum- Cant decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 16, 2013