We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maya tulum or ana y jose

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
maya tulum or ana y jose

Hello, im debating about staying at ana y jose or maya tulum, i know ana y jose has electricity but is it really worth the extra money? Has anyone stayed at both or either or? I know that they are pretty close to each other so should have a similar beach. Any insight would ne helpful

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maya tulum or ana y jose

Very different beach, actually. Maya Tulum has a nice little swimmable bay on one side of the point, but the other side is all rocks and stuff. Ana y Jose has a beautiful beach all the way.

They're very different hotels--Ana y Jose is luxury, Maya Tulum is nice but not at the same level. Both have electricity, but Ana y Jose has air-conditioning. Not that close to one another either, a good mile of beach-walking I'd say. A kilometer, at least.

What do you find appealing about each? What's the budget you'd like to stick to? Do you have any "must-haves" in a hotel?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maya tulum or ana y jose

I'm wondering if ana y jose is worth the money? I've read some reviews that makes me think it's not...it looks gorgeous though and is high on my list as well.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maya tulum or ana y jose

In my humble opinion, if I had the money to stay at Ana y Jose, I probably wouldn't. It has always seemed a little stuffy to me, not my taste. And last year they changed their beach furniture away from really beautiful, heavy wooden loungers with thick white cotton slip-covered cushions to more standard (admittedly more practical from the hotel's p.o.v.) metal/mesh loungers. It is also my understanding that the family who owns AyJ are very aggressive; they're the ones who forcibly took over Ocho and created S&S Hip Hotel and are threatening (yes, this is hearsay but I hear a lot) several properties to their north. Property issues in Tulum are complex and thorny and I don't claim to understand all the nuances and don't expect everyone to care, but there it is. I just think they're bullies.

If I had the money and required air conditioning, I'd stay at Cabanas Tulum or Ahau or maybe even BeTulum. If I didn't need a/c (and I don't), I'd choose Ahau or Cabanas La Luna's Captain Dale beach house or the Owner's or Master Suites at La Zebra or Las Ranitas or any of ten other beautiful and personable places on the beach road.

4. Re: maya tulum or ana y jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 21, 2013