We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Warnings About Tulum Police

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
More Warnings About Tulum Police

I have read numerous articles about this but the latest is in todays Novedades newspaper , warning the Tulum police continue to target tourists and , at times, locals. This translated from the spanish article, "Alonso Ventre Sifri, president of the Public Safety Committee, invited the public to discourage corruption and in case of being extorted by the police, to make their complaint and insisted the director general, Sergio Montes Terrazers, that the agents accused of corrupt and extortionist of motorists are stopped. "

Probably easier said than done since tourists are not likely to take the time to file a complaint.

The spanish article, along with a photo of the police in action, is here : sipse.com/noticias/147524-agentes-transito-s…

Edited: 6:45 am, March 06, 2012
Monroe, WI
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
51. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Very interesting thread; I'm glad to hear so many perspectives and experiences. We just returned from our first (of many) trips to Tulum and were curious about the local police.

Thomas A- I would very much like to hear more of your thoughts, especially about other things we should be aware of (gas station scam?) Although our experience was perfectly civil and peaceful, we are not so naive as to question that there is a possibility of potentially negative future experiences; as I am sure we would all agree.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Hello, I will be traveling to Tulum in a few weeks and planned to rent a car for at least a portion of the trip. Does anyone know if these incidents have improved or worsened since last Spring?

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

In my opinion, things have improved. The former mayor was removed and along with her, many of the problems. From what I have read, they are really trying to clean up their act.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I haven't heard of any problems and we never encountered a problem on our last trip....neither did any of the others travelers I talked to.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Glad to hear it. Thanks so much!

Vail, Arizona
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Wow...We were in Playa del Carmen in October 2011 for ten days and traveled extensively in our rental car through the Tulum area ( Coba, Tulum, Akumal, Ek Balam, Chichen Itza ) on numerous days and never had the slightest incident even though our traveling companion who acted as chauffeur drove like a native...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I think things have calmed down now. Maybe the mayor was behind much of it and she was put out and now under investigation by state government.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Coming to Tulum next June and this is making me a bit nervous about rental cars. We were in Canun 3 years ago and our native van driver from the hotel was pulled over for some violation on our trip back to the airport. He ended up paying off the police. It seems like the price to drive the roads but It is scary if you don't know the routine. Plus you could pay a lot of taxi rides for a $200 fine.

Please continue this thread with the latest info and thanks!

Big E
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Wow, just read this string as well. I was planning a trip to Tulum in June but may switch direction......I've never been real comfortable vacationing anywhere some one has to recommend how to carry your cash to payoff the police.

Always waned to see St. Bart's....

Just sayin....

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,381 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I think things have greatly improved now with the former mayor and much of her staff being removed. No reports of late. And her honor , the former mayor, is in jail in Playa del Carmen facing numerous charges.