We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Warnings About Tulum Police

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,379 posts
157 reviews
More Warnings About Tulum Police

I have read numerous articles about this but the latest is in todays Novedades newspaper , warning the Tulum police continue to target tourists and , at times, locals. This translated from the spanish article, "Alonso Ventre Sifri, president of the Public Safety Committee, invited the public to discourage corruption and in case of being extorted by the police, to make their complaint and insisted the director general, Sergio Montes Terrazers, that the agents accused of corrupt and extortionist of motorists are stopped. "

Probably easier said than done since tourists are not likely to take the time to file a complaint.

The spanish article, along with a photo of the police in action, is here : sipse.com/noticias/147524-agentes-transito-s…

Edited: 6:45 am, March 06, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
26 reviews
11. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

You let them bite your hand, and only served to feed the corruption.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,379 posts
157 reviews
12. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I read another article on Tulum police corruption in the news today. The police dont stop at just illegal traffic stops but much worse things. Todays story regarded the beating death of an indigenous man at the hands of the Tulum police. The article stated they are among the most corrupt in the country.

The state government really needs to get control of this.

maine
Level Contributor
912 posts
20 reviews
13. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

So, Andy should have put his mother and children through who knows what, at 4:30 in the morning, AND missed his flight (to say nothing of the costs and headaches that it would have brought), just to avoid feeding the hand that bites? Come on now.... Seriously, who in that situation would NOT have made the choice he did? Sorry you found yourself in such a rotten situation.

SF
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
14. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Robert, since you seem to pay atttention to the local news, do you know if this is only Tulum police that are participating in corruption? It seems weird that such a small town's police would have such influence and on top of that if other cities in Quintana Roo are able to avoid such corruption, maybe Tulum needs to model themselves off of them if possible.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,379 posts
157 reviews
15. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I read much news of various police forces and Tulum is getting the most publicity because of the level of corruption. It exists in most Mexican police forces but for this one , from a small town, to be listed as one of the most corrupt in Mexico, takes some doing. Just saying, the traffic stop problem is only a small part of the problem.

Here is the article, in spanish, from todays Novedade newspaper. The headline is ¨Police Tulum, the Most Corrupt and Violent ¨:

sipse.com/noticias/148387-policia-tulum-corr…

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
984 posts
1 review
16. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

No.

It's the same for the police at Solidaridad, Bonfil and Benito Juarez. That's the municipalities that holds Cancun, Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen.

What upsets me the most is the fact that the news paper , the government and the people .. we all know that this goes on everyday. But nothing is done.

The police department are as corrupt as their officers.

I think the best way to fight this is to say NO to this. Ask for the ticket. Don't play their game.

Iowa
Level Contributor
519 posts
130 reviews
17. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

I always show them 100 pesos and have all my cash in my pants and show credit cards-Do not say you're going to the airport-you are moving hotels. Hand him the 100 pesos and say I have no more cash and will pay the ticket tomorrow after we check into our new hotel-be very nice-make sure your wallet is empty of all cash except the 100 pesos-there is nothing they can really do.

This is my personal experience. Also read reviews on this scam-you're an American-don't pay the ticket. I still go back. just smile. Don't speak Spanish.

Thomas A. Brown

Been to Tulum 35 times-I'm still going back.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
5 reviews
18. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Two quotes from you Mr. Thomas A Brown ~

First page ~

"I never rent a car-been there 35 times-I don't have to think about tickets-in the past I have gone through many road blocks and had the car inspected-trunk open-glove box-ect-they can't pat you down-so if you have something you're not to have hide it in your Pants or Bra and you will be fine-people like to party-it is Mexico-take a cab. I just go to relax on the beach and enjoy Tulum- a taxi is an easy ride into town with many of them on the beach road-great for running up and down the beach road to eat-also the Topes-speed bumps will destroy your car if you're not aware of them-I have seen many broken wheels as a result of people not paying attention and destroying the rental car.

I hope this helps and Enjoy

Thomas A. Brown"

Now quote from right above ~

"I always show them 100 pesos and have all my cash in my pants and show credit cards-Do not say you're going to the airport-you are moving hotels. Hand him the 100 pesos and say I have no more cash and will pay the ticket tomorrow after we check into our new hotel-be very nice-make sure your wallet is empty of all cash except the 100 pesos-there is nothing they can really do.

This is my personal experience. Also read reviews on this scam-you're an American-don't pay the ticket. I still go back. just smile. Don't speak Spanish.

Thomas A. Brown

Been to Tulum 35 times-I'm still going back."

Just confused.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,379 posts
157 reviews
19. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

And I thought I was the only one just confused.

And I always wonder if the police will really believe a tourist is driving around with only 100 pesos. They may be corrupt but they arent stupid.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,360 posts
73 reviews
20. Re: More Warnings About Tulum Police

Im hoping to be meeting with someone at the NYC office of the Mexican Tourism Board in the very near future. If there is an appropriate moment, I will suggest they read these threads. This is the last thing they need when theyre working to bring tourism to Mexico.