We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
13 posts
Save Topic
ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

We are headed to Tulum for 10 yr anniversary and want small boutique hotel that is romantic and not roughing- it too much. One garden room is available at Ana y Jose which has gotten reviews that it smells of sewage. Is it worth paying $90 more a night to stay in better rooms at either Suenos or Coqui? A spa would be nice on property, or at least nearby. Any other suggestions of a luxurious smaller beachfront hotel in the area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (over $230 or so a night?)

thanks!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Yes...I think it is worth paying more not to have a garden room at AyJ. While I do love AyJ, I would never want a garden room.

My choice is Coqui Coqui - very lux. They even have nice bathtubs which are scarce in Tulum. There is a great spa on site. I had a superb spa day there last August with the highlight being killer shiatsu and reflexology.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

While I think that for a 10 year anniversary I might prefer one of the beachview suites the garden rooms seem to have been expanded recently at Ana y Jose. They are nicer and larger now it seems, just an FYI as we have just returned from there.

North Carolina
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Now I find Mezzanine- I don't know if they availablity yet but is this a better choice than Coqui, Ana y Jose (garden room) or Sueonos? It seems to be a little less $ than Coqui and suenos- any thoughts??

Nashville
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

i just returned from ana y jose two weeks ago and stayed in garden room number 11. although there was an occasional smell (mostly in the late morning) it was never a problem. our room was huge!! ample space, comfortable beds.

Boston
Level Contributor
36 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Do you mean Casa del los Suenos on Isla Mujeres? If so, that place is wonderful and the perfect spot for a honeymoon destination. Otherwise, I have been to Tulum 5 times in the past two years and HIGHLY recommend Mezzanine - check out the reviews - I wrote the first one last year.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Mezzanine has 4 rooms (I think) so you might want to inquire soon. The only negative mark about Mezzanine is the nightclub atmosphere on Friday nights and the proximity of the bar to the rooms.

North Carolina
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Thanks Pepper- I contacted mezzanine yesterday and have yet to hear from them. I am assuming they are full. Regarding Coqui- do you know how to reserve rooms there without going thru LocoGringo? I can't find a direct web site for the hotel and I feel like time is of the essence. Thank you for all of your help!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

I only know to reserve Coqui Coqui through Locogringo (Suenos too). You can reserve Mezzanine and Suenos Tulum through differentworld.com.

I'd book it right away...a good measure of how busy the area is that AyJ only has one garden room left.

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

Hello...we just got back and I will be writing a very good review of Ana Y Jose but we were in an oceanfront suite. If you like to sit on your private terrace and enjoy the scenery those back rooms would not be much to see and could get noise from the road. I overheard someone checking out and they were pretty unhappy with one of those rooms. I walked the beach alot and checked out alot of hotels in that area and Coqui Coqui looked interesting however it does not appear to be full service...did not see any place for lunch etc. so if you don't mind getting in a car all the time the set up for beachfront rooms was nice...it did not look finished at all and alot of construction around. I did not see Suenos Tulum but from the trip advisor reviews I think that would be your best choice...very small but sounds full service. Good luck...anywhere you stay you have the most beautiful beach ever!

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ana y jose, coqui coqui or Seunos Tulum??

I should mention in reference to above post that I thought the back garden rooms at Ana Y Jose looked really nice and a good option if you wanted to save money or nothing else was available...all rooms looked private and everything else about the hotel was perfect. I thought many times that we did not spend enough time in our room to justify the higher price to be oceanfront...there are so many nice areas to sit and enjoy the views..so I would not rule it out.