We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lomas travel - paradise reef snorkeling

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lomas travel - paradise reef snorkeling

has anyone taken this trip..marmora marina and beach.. or do you have any other suggestions headed down Nov 25 for a week to EDSS ..thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lomas travel - paradise reef snorkeling

I took this excursion, but it was the day before the hurricane arrived.

I was a the Paradisus and there was a van that came by to pick me up. That was nice as I didn't have to travel to a rendezvous spot. The van basically took a bunch of people who had booked excursions in Maroma. In the web page they list La Isla as the rendezvous point but fortunately I didn't have to go there.

The bugs were nasty at this place. Don't sit near the trees.

About 25 of us took off on a boat. Snorkeling was my first time and the waters were rough (no kidding with a hurricane comming). It sure didn't look like anything you would see in sorkeling videos. :) You could still see fishes, and reefs and still had to watch out, but the rough waters made swimming a challenge.

They said they normally stop at three spots, one out in the ocean, and two nearer to shore. They only stopped at two spots this time.

Afterwards they showed us to their restaurant where you could order something to eat and drink. Food you had to pay, but it wasn't unreasonable by US standards. Some of the drinks were free such as beer, but for some reason, they charged me for iced tea.

This is an outdoor restaurant. I didn't get sick from the food, but in restrospect, I would be a bit more careful next time I go back. The place looked clean enough, but what water they used to make the drinks is always a concern. It is a tourist spot though, so hopefully they do take care with the water like all tourist spots normally do.

There is a designated time when your shuttle is supposed to come pick you up depending on whether you were snorkeling, ATV, or doing something else. You don't have to follow this. They will have buses and vans comming in and out, and there is a guy there organizing by which hotels people are going to. He'll tell you which bus to take.

I was supposed to go back at 2PM, but was able to catch a bus to go back at 1PM. In retrospect, I would have just tried to hop on a bus right after snorkeling was done (noonish) and tried to go back to the hotel instead of spending an hour at the restaurant. I was at an all inclusive anyways, so best to take advantage of the food that's already paid for.

Technically if you wanted, you could stay the whole day at Maroma and rent a jet ski or a speed boat. I'm not sure if doing anything like the ATV would be dooable after the snorkeling, but you can definitely rent a jet ski or something.

Another cool thing these guys did was the first snorkeling stop was further out in the ocean. A couple got exhausted and wanted to skip the rest of the trip. So they called in a speed boat to pick these people off the boat so they could go back to shore.

As for recommendation, if this place is back to normal it looks like it could be a nice place. Having never snorkled anywhere else, it's a bit hard for me to compare.

Hope this helps.