We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

I am looking for any and all advice- after reading seven thousand reviews ( often with very extreme differences of opinions) i am asking for some help. I am taking my wife and her mom to MX -with three nights in Tulum - rustic is good- we go camping the three of us and have a great time but I think even my fearless mother in law might get a little freaked out being in a cabanna by her self with nothing but a gecko- Anybody ever stayed in either Conchita or Copal in a room or rooms accomading three-?

Copal has no picutures of their Quad rooms and it also seems that the experience depends heavily on what cabanna you get?

anyideas would be a apprecciated

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

It does seem that your experience at Copal depends on the cabana. I haven't checked them out, yet.

But have stayed at La Conchita - it's one of the best places on the beach. Very highly recommend it!! We stayed in Cabana 2 which has the up/down floorplan with a bed on each floor.

Anything specific you'd like to know?

KY
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

Copal is alot more rustic than Conchita's but for many, that is the beauty of it. It is not luxury or fancy by any means. If you like to camp, Copal is luxury camping at it's best. The kings and quads have concrete floors, makes the cabanas feel more secure, I think. I never felt unsafe in my stays there. Never had a quad, can't comment on that except to say they would be larger to accomodate more people, and just as comfortable as the Kings.

Beachfront cabanas are obviously the best, especially in the hotter months. Nothing better than being only steps away from the sea and waking up to that beautiful sunrise.

Iowa
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

Hello,

When my husband and I were in Tulum in July, we went up and down the hotel road walking in to see many of the hotels, check their restaurants as well as their beaches.

Copal is pretty rustic and there seems to be lots of people milling around the area. The cabanas are on a cliff looking over the ocean and you go down stairs to the beach.

One thing that is important to me is to be able to plant myself in a good beach chair with a drink. Well, there are no chairs at all on the beach, only up the cliff in the bar/daybed area. Running up and down to get in the ocean or get a drink didn't appeal to me.

Also, its not bothersome to me when its just my husband and I, but Copal is clothing optional, and when we were there, there was serious nudity. Frankly, I can't imagine taking my mom there, she would die. Just a heads up on that one.

As for LaConchita, it looks nice and they do have beach chairs. I don't know about a bar though. We didn't get to check it as thoroughly since the restaurant is only open for breakfast.

Anyway, good luck. Tulum is my favorite place.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serious Waffling- Copal or Conchitas

Thanks - for all the usefull advice-My wifes mom would probably be more flustered by a wandering nudist as a tarantula in the shower- and I have now heard about both of those things -

I just got word back that we have secured the two bedroom cabana #2 at Conchitas- which I really think is gonna be the best- if my wife and I were doin this alone we would be at Copal- but the little extra for conchitas - I think my ma in law will really appreciate and with the duplex we will still have a little privacy- I have not read one bad review of the place- cant wait

thanks again