We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

We will ne going to EDR in less than 2 weeks and plan on going on the snorkel excursion at Xel-ha. Has anyone been to Xel-ha? Also is it recommended to do both of these excursions, Xel-ha & Tulum, in the same day? I have read that you can go to just Xel-ha, or just Tulum, or both....any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

The combined Xel-Ha and Tulum is a great trip if you have not seen any ruins. However, the amount of time at Xel-Ha is never enough if you are into snorkeling. If you want to fully enjoy the snorkeling I would spend the entire day at Xel-Ha. Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,846 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

Thanks Cancun Bob! I really only want to go to Xel-ha, but he wants to do both. I'm sure Tulum is amazing, but I'd rather be spending my day in the water being that it's very hot in Cancun. I just don't want to feel rushed if we did both, ya know what I mean? If we did do both excursions, how much time is spent at each?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Seattle
Level Contributor
326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

If my memory is correct, you spend about 2 hours at Tulum then about 3 hours at Xel-Ha. You eat at Xel-Ha.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,846 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver, BC
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

Don't know if this will help...

I haven't been to there yet. We are going on the 15th of oct.

We plan to take 1 whole day to enjoy snorkeling at xel-ha.

Tulum ruins are also in our plans, but I don't think it'll take us the whole day. We heard there is an amazing beach where the ruins are, so we have the whole day reserved for tulum ruins.

Of course, if we finish early, we can always go relex in the resort. :)

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Xel-ha or Tulum? Which should we do?

Balala,

Thanks for your suggestion! I would much rather do Xel-ha than combining the 2 excursions in 1 day. I'm sure it would be cool to see the ruins, but I love to snorkel and am really looking forward to doing that. Will you be at EDR also? We will be there from 10/17-23! I am so excited, only 11 days to go!