We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xel-Ha

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Xel-Ha

What is the best way to do Xel-ha? Take a tour? Take a Collectivo? Pay for an all-inclusive ticket, etc?

Thank you.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xel-Ha

The local 'collectivo' bus is the way to go. It's one dollar (US) per person, each way. Just take the hotel shuttle to the hacienda and the bus stop is at the hotel's front gate. The hotel staff and even the tour operators we talked to recommend this over the tours and all-inclusives. The only downside is that the bus lets you off at the highway entrance, but it's only a short walk (4-5 minutes) up to the main gate.

Calgary,Alberta
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xel-Ha

It depends on where you are staying...I was at the Sunscape and took a cab for 6.00. Go the all inclusive, it is the better deal, you get lunch, locker etc. All you have to do is give them your drivers lic as a deposit. Great place to go.

winnipeg, manitoba
Level Contributor
829 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xel-Ha

I know you have to give a deposit but is the snorkel equipment rental included in the all inclusive?

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xel-Ha

If you are buying an all-inclusive ticket to Xel-Ha anyway, isn't better to take a tour group. As I understand it they'll pick you up at your hotel, includes meals, rentals, etc. and return to hotel? Anyone done that?

Calgary,Alberta
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xel-Ha

I found that the tours from the hotels were a little more money than what I paid, also I booked my all-inclusive ticket on their web site before I left. All worked out ok. When you buy an all-inc. ticket it is everything. They had all-inc with transportation as well, sorry can't remember for how much.

Calgary,Alberta
Level Contributor
59 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xel-Ha

Sorry forgot...Everything is included in the all inclusive ticket, except for travel. You get to keep your snorkel as a gift. What you get is as follows: snorkel gear, family size locker, towel, lunch and an icecream. You get a little ticket book and have to have a wrist band on at all times.

winnipeg, manitoba
Level Contributor
829 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xel-Ha

thanks for the info.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xel-Ha

Thanks everyone for the great info!

travelingfromtx

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xel-Ha

Don't do a bus tour unless you want to spend at least 1/3 of your day on the bus. Do things on your schedule and you will have a great time. Rent a car or do the collectivo or taxi if you are close. You will always save money if you go straight to the place and pay there even for AI.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xel-Ha

Thanks Vitale!