We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

Just booked for our honeymoon Oct 29th-Nov 5th...SOOO excited. We are booked for an oceanfront room, don't know which building yet..I just can't stop thinking about the casitas, is it crowded during this time? I'm hoping we will get the offer of an upgrade..anyone else there during this time??!!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

Hi soodles,

My husband and I will be there Nov 1-6 for our 5 yr Anniversary. We also booked an oceanfront suite with the Anniversary package. We were thinking of booking a casita, but not sure it is worth the extra $100/night. Maybe you can swing a deal when you get there since it is your honeymoon! Good luck and maybe we can meet up for a cocktail!

CT
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

We just got back from EDR over the weekend. Upon checking we upgraded from a Gardenview to an Oceanfront suite for $400. We are more than pleased with our decision. The room was ideally located. We were in suite #512. I guess it depends on what you would prefer for your vacation. We loved the casitas (going in to the resort I thought we were going to upgrade to one) but once there we thought they were too isolated from the main resort, the restaurants and the activities. We even toured the casitas while on the Exotic Travel presentation and found the extra $$ not worth the open air shower and the extra room space. Our suite was big enough for us. We had the same jacuzzi, the mattress was pillow top and was very comfortable (comparable to our Serta pillow top mattress we have and love at home), the room was close to the beach, the bars, the palapas, which by the way, we found we rarely used given that we spent most of our time in the pools or beach, kayaking, playing v-ball or painting ceramics.

Like I said, it depends on what you're looking for. If you chose to upgrade, make sure you negotiate the price to the lowest you can. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!! EDR is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Amarillo, TX
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

I agree with CT, our oceanfront room was very nice! The casitas had their own pool areas. We spent alot time in our room and on our patio watching the ocean, so it all depends like CT stated. I'm glad that we did not upgrade.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

CT and Krispikreme,

I have a few more questions, since you were both recently there.... As far as you know, are all the oceanfront rooms exactly the same? Which building and floor did you stay in? In your opinion, is it a better view from the bottom or top floor? Did you experience any bad odors in that part of the resort? I have read other reviews that there was a bad odor near the casita section. Thanks!

CT
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

I can't say about all oceanfront rooms are exactly the same, only because I did not entered other rooms except ours. I can say that room #512 was beautiful located in building 5 on the second floor and no third floor above us. The decorations were very elegant and romantic. The bedspread was ivory color and we had curtains like a canopi bed going around the bed.

The view was partially obstructed (1/3 of the view) by palm trees. You could see the ocean from the bed and hear the waves if you left the door open. Our building was located almost in front of the beach volleyball court and it did not mattered to us since we were hardly in the room during the day. I would've prefered to have our room on the first floor only to be able to go out the room through the patio. I have to admit I got locked out on the balcony on our first afternoon... I didn't think much of it... my husband left for the gym and I stayed in the hammock reading a book. Fifteen minutes later I noticed I was locked out, but I did have the key with me. I just stayed in the hammock napping while my hubby came back 15 minutes later. Let's say it did not happened to me twice... lesson learned!

We did not experience bad odors near our building. We almost didn't notice any odors around the resort, the few times we did noticed it felt more like humidity than mangrooves. It did not take away from the experience!

I will be posting pictures with my review, but in the meantime I can send you some pics by email, just let me know your email address.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

CT-Traveler...Thanks so much for your review of the ocean front rooms. The room you stayed in sounds beautiful. I saw pictures of the rooms on the resort's website and you always wonder if they will actually look like that, but in your case it sounds like it did!! I wonder if my travel agent can request a specific building and floor prior to our departure or if I should just make the request upon our arrival. I will have to look into it. I would love to see some pictures. My e-mail address is teepe@sbcglobal.net. We leave in exactly 2 months and I can't wait! Thanks again!

CT
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

meteepe, check your email.... I just sent you some pics. Enjoy!

North Dakota
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

Did you negotiate to get the $400 rate or is that the standard? What time do you think you need to check in by to get the option to upgrade? Thanks for all of your feedback and insight! It's been very helpful.

CT
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

beckyt,

We did not negotiate the price as much as I wanted, I tried but we were told by one of the Exotic Travel Group concierge we were being offered a good rate because we were RCI. I don't totally believe it, but I tried to get it to go down more, it didn't worked and we felt $400 was worth it. Originally we were given a room on building #12, right next to the lobby, too far from the beach and the fun for us.

We checked in at noon, I guess that might have played a good part on being able to upgrade to such a great room. Our room was ready at around 2pm: while we were having lunch at La Isla, my husband was told someone was on the phone for him in the kitchen... it was the concierge letting us know the room was ready. Great service. We were also surprise to see a chilled bottle of champaigne by the jacuzzi!!

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you need more info or want some pics over by email. I haven't post my review yet. I will do so over the weekend.

Toronto
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: El Dorado!!! Casita or not??

Thank you everyone!! I think we'll stick to the oceanfront... seeing as we can still use the castita side..FOR NOW!!! we can spend the extra money on excursions etc..anyone know about deep sea fishing? we are interested in doing that one day,