We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum advice!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
so-california
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tulum advice!

hello.

my bf and i are planning a trip to QR in a few weeks and are thinking of spending much of our time in Tulum.

but, i am wondering--i would like to go to Chitzen Itza--should we stay in Cancun the first night and do that trip from Cancun? just by looking at the map, that seems easier. but, if we could avoid Cancun altogether and do that trip from Tulum, i wouldnt complain. any thoughts/info would be hugely appreciated.

also, we're leaning towards staying at the Diamante K, through a recommendation of a friend-of-a-friend. i am wary though after reading the reviews on here. we want remote, quiet, no kids, or tourist traps. we're big beachgoers...

anyone out there have any advice?

thank you!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum advice!

You can do the trip from Tulum going along the Coba Rd then up toward Valladolid. The road to Coba is filled with pot-holes everywhere. Once you cross the state line into Yucatan, the road improves dramatically with no pot-holes. We just did the trip last week.

I don't know a thing about Diamante K other than an aquaintance tried to stay there with a confirmed reservation and she was denied because they were filming something. I wouldn't trust them.

La Conchita is really the best place on the beach.

so-california
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum advice!

pepper - thank you!

how long does it take to get there (roughly) from Tulum? is it doable in a day, or would you stay overnight?

i know, i'm definitely on the fence about Diamante... its tempting because they seem to have reasonable rates, but i dont want to show up and get told to take a hike!

is Conchita pretty private/quiet and on the beach?

thx!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum advice!

It's doable in a day; that's how we've done it twice. But...I would re-do it and stay the night if we do it again.

Stay at Hacienda Chichen. Visit Chichen Itza. Also visit Ek Balam (about 45 minutes away). Check out Ik Kil cenote. Hang out in Valladolid.

It's about 2 1/2-3 hrs from Tulum depending on how well you can zip through the pot-holes. And definately do not do the drive at night - it's treacherous!!

La Conchita is very private and secluded - there are only 8 rooms. They keep people from wandering in. The beach is kind of shared with Azulik (they keep to themselves), Posada del Sol and Zahra. But it's not really an issue. You can find out more on differentworld.com.

Another place that is nice and private is Suenos Tulum. It's located much farther down the beach road. The beach there is awesome and can go on for miles. Find out about them on locogringo.com.

so-california
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum advice!

okay pepper,

you talked me into it. we're booked for 4 nights at Conchita, in #7. i'm particularly fired up about our room, as its one of the free standing ones. do you know anything about its location (w/in the hotel layout)?

thanks for your advice and help! i figure as far as Chitzen goes, we might just wing it. we have Conchita booked for the first half of the trip--maybe we'll just enjoy it and relax, then start delaing with all the sightseeing stuff once we've done so much relaxing we cant stand it anymore! :)

thanks again for your help!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum advice!

We always wing-it too. In fact, we wing-it so much, that we missed half of Chichen last year - that's why we had to go back this year and combine it with Ek Balam.

The Chichen map from cancunmap.com is very handy - you should order one - it lists more than just Chichen - has things along the way, etc.

#7 is right behind the restaurant where breakfast is served. We would hear some clanging around since our room (#2) was directly across from it. We would wake up and then go back to sleep. But actually, the wake-up clanging was good - we never missed breakfast!! I wouldn't let this deter you in any way, BTW.

It's all wonderful at La Conchita!!!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum advice!

We just went to Chichen Itza in early Aug. We arrived at Hacienda Chichen Itza around 5, ate dinner, and got to the 8pm sound and light show. Then we did a tour with a guide the next morning (which the concierge at the hotel set up, and he met us at the hotel in the morning - he was fabulous). This was a great way to see it. The sound and light show is pretty cool (I would get there earlier, though -- we got there just in time and didn't have great seats.) Staying the night meant we could go in early around 8am before it got hot and crowded. (By lunchtime it was very very hot and there were a zillion tourbus folks.)

From Chichen Itza, we did the drive down the Coba road to Tulum. Pepper said "filled with potholes everywhere" -- that may be an understatement. It was more like the potholes occasionally were filled with some road, lol. It isn't far but that part of the trip is very very slow. That part of the road west of Tulum also has lots of great places to buy things (hammocks, ceramics, etc) including a very interesting honey store with everything you can think of made from honey.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,461 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum advice!

Where is the honey store? That sounds aewsome...I need to check it out next time.

so-california
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum advice!

thanks to both of you for the advice, i'll let you know how it turns out!

best,

.l

New York, NY, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum advice!

I just returned from Tulum and two days at La Conchita (#6).

Pepper knows a lot more than I do about the area, but if you rent a car from Tulum, we had a very good experience with the Alamo, located on the main road in Tulum. The man who runs it (I think his name is Jose) is polite and he marked all the scratches and dents that the car had before we rented it. Upon return we had no issues. I am saying all this because prior to my trip I was a bit apprehensive about car rentals in Mexico. Some forums warned that rentals may try to make you pay for dents you didn't do, and so on...

Mitsos

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum advice!

I don't know how many km out of Tulum the honey store is, sorry. It is right on that road to Coba, on the left (south side) going from Tulum toward Coba. (Just so you know, in addition to all things honey, there are also quite a bit of bees in and around the store. Guess the hives are right there.)