We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phone Rentals

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phone Rentals

My husband and I are traveling to Tulum in a few months and staying at Cabanas La Conchita. Based on everything we've heard, we're very excited but, as I was told when booking the room, thre is no phone on the property.

We are going to need to rent a cell phone so that "Grandma and Grandpa" can get in touch with us in case of an emergency with our kids.

Does anyone have any experience with renting cell phones for use in Mexico? Any recommendations of companies to use? Also, does anyone know how reliable reception/service is on the beaches of Tulum?

Thanks for any info...

jenny

Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phone Rentals

Jenny,

I have seen cell phones for sale at Walmart (ect.) at are prepaid. I think they are pretty cheap. I have never heard of renting a cell phone. With the prepaid cell phone you just purchase the number of minutes that you need. When you are done, you either buy more minutes or you don't. You have no contract. It is a little more expensive than using a phone with a contract. I know they have cell phone service in Mexico but I am not sure what the coverage area is for a prepaid phone. I hope this helps!

Brandie