We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage to Tulum area?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
East Stroudsburg, PA
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Damage to Tulum area?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any information on the damage in the Tulum area. I heard that it got hit pretty hard. I am supposed to be going to the Bahia Principe Tulum in August. I wonder if the resort and surrounding area was badly damaged? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
497 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

Today someone sent me pictures of what BPT looked like after the hurricane, it's bad but not too bad, it all should be ok in two weeks. Palm trees and palapas had falledown but besides that the buildings are fine. Today they have electricity and running water and the hotel is working at a 60%

Midwest
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
92. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

I was there during the hurricane and was told that the "eye" of the storm came on land between Playa Car & Tulum. Xel-ha is closed, as were the ruins and many of the other hotels in that area. The roads were closed for awhile. Someone we met in the hotel rented a jeep and went and checked it out. They said there were palapas in the middle of the main highway. We stayed at the Sunscape Tulum last year. I was told that because it is concrete, it held up pretty well. However, the beach area is mainly palapas and all of that got hit very hard. Check out the hotel websites - many tell you if they are open or not.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

Eva Maria

the buildings are far from fine. The accommodation is pretty much ok but all the restaurants and reception areas have structural damage. Ceilings are down, roofs are off, theres hardly any glass left. I'm sure they'll get it back to or better than before in a couple of months though. They started minor repairs while we were still there on Tuesday. Stuff like retiling the pools for example.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
497 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

Thanks "thegoodwitch", it's good to have the reports and opinions of people who have been there during the hurricane.

I hope everything is more or less fine in 3 weeks, I dont' expect it to be perfect but just fine so we can go to the restaurants and use the pools. Thanks again

Eva

hi56er
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
95. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

Hi, Im looking for pics of the damage done by emily does anyone have any if so send to hi56er@yahoo.com

96. Re: Damage to Tulum area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:43 pm, March 06, 2009