We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tulum hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

We will be traveling with our 6-year-old and one set of grandparents. We are going spend 5-6 days going down the coast to Xcalak and then out to Chichen Itza, and then come back and spend 5-6 days in Tulum to do that area. We decided to do the AI at the end -- question is which one? We like the idea of staying at the smaller ones in Tulum (rather than Oasis or Principe or the other large ones in the Akumel area). Freedom Paradise would be a good bit less expensive than Sunscape but Sunscape sounds nicer to me.

Would love opinions on the two, particularly food, pool, kids club, ease of getting around the grounds.

Thanks.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

I haven't stayed at either, but I think you'll be much happier at Sunscape.

Here's an aerial view of Freedom Paradise (the beach looks like it's all rocky). Click the south/left arrow for the view of Sunscape; it's the next frame.

www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/103a-t.html

Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

We went to Sunscape last year. Our five year olds loved it. The kids club was great. Everything is on the ground level- except the rooms. Easy to get around. Small and intimate, beach is gorgeous! Loved it- you will too!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

At Sunscape, are the Garden view rooms far? Is it much better to have Oceanview?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

In general....It's always better to have oceanfront or oceanview. But...I've never stayed there.

Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

It depends on where your garden room is- there are some that are quite far- about a 10 min. walk. And some that are fairly close. The ocean view are very close to everything. We had one in the corner that wasn't technically on "ocean view". I don't think there are any elevators, so you have to walk up steps to get to the upper floors. I know there are regular rooms and then two room suites by the ocean. I would call the hotel directly because when I emailed a room request it was neither answered nor honored.

Iowa
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

Ummm....what are you going to Xcalak for? Unless you are scuba diving or fishing extensively, I find it hard to believe you would enjoy it with the mixed group of travelers you describe.

I hate to badmouth anyplace, but scuba diving and fishing is all they have going for it. The beaches are awful compared to most of the Yucatan coast. The reef is very close and you get no wave action at all, so there is lots of sea grass, which feels really yuccky swimming. There are also loads of jelly fish where the grass is and the beaches are only about 5-10 feet wide.

To top it all off, the drive down 307 is miserable from Tulum south. The road is a very narrow two lane, no shoulder to speak of, and 5 feet off the edge of the road are cement pilons designed to mark the edge of the road. Don't make any mistakes on this road. The trees go straight up down the sides of the road so there is absolutely nothing to see for hours.

If you want to snorkel, there are lots better places to go. As for the Sian Kaan biosphere, take the boat tour. Don't even think about driving down the road. It is even more miserable, huge chuckholes, 15 miles an hour at most, few places to see anything at all, and unless you are willing to ignore "private property" signs, you can't get to the beach until after the bridge to Punta Allen.

As for the Tulum area, it is my favorite place in the world. The beaches are spectacular, very laid back (we're not into the night life anyway), beautiful star filled skies, and plenty to see and do in the area.

With the group you have described, you might enjoy another place we have spent a good deal of time, Puerto Morelos. It's quiet, good for families, gives you a feel for the real Mexico, and has great snorkeling. I can recommend a condo complex I believe your group would enjoy. (When its just my husband and I, we go to Tulum. When we take our 14 and 12 year old and my parents, we go to Puerto Morelos.) We stay at Villas Playasol which is a group of 2 bedroom condos. Everyone gets their own space, but it has a lot of good common area to meet and get together. You can also save some money on food by shopping locally and preparing breakfast and snacks. Their web is http://www.villasplayasol.com/

Enjoy your trip.

Kulpmont...
Level Contributor
129 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

Hate to say, husband e-mailed resort 3 times questioning oceanview rooms before we booked. It was guarantied to us that there was a true ocean view. Not the case. Had to lean over banister or stand on chair to view. We stayed in room 720. What a mess. Don't spend the xtra $$$$$ on this. Very dissappointed to say the least. We were there only for 1 night 5/4 and requested apple vacations to move us to a new hotel after no satisfaction from Sunscape.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
217 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

We'll be at Sunscape Tulum in late June. We didn't spring for an oceanview room but perhaps we'll get upgraded to one (wishful thinking?). We did, however, pay extra for a junior suite and I hope we won't be dissapointed. All the accommodations look nice on the web site.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

We decided to go to Sunscape. We didn't spring for the oceanview rooms either, we also fantasize we might get an upgrade. ;)

It is wild how variable the tripadvisor reviews are for all these AIs, sunscape included. I guess most people who post reviews for anything have strong opinions, so it makes sense they are gonig to either have really good or bad experiences. But I just read the last couple for sunscape, and the people had really different experiences and seemed to be there the same week. Well, we are very easy, so I think it will all be fine.

In response to farmboyswfie, we going to Xcalak because we do want to scuba and snorkel and also spend a few days away from everything. When you went, was the new road done?

Iowa
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunscape Tulum or Freedom Paradise?

Yes, the highway to Maujhual was finished, very nice. The road from there to Xcalak must have been finished at least a few years ago. Just a lonesome road where you hope you don't break down. Oh, and despite the warnings, there is a brand new Pemex just outside of Maujhual.

And other news, Xcalak did get electricity too last June. When we were there, everyone was trying to hook themselves up. At least in town anyway. So there should be a few improvements for perishable food supplies.

Enjoy!