We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

Is the beach really unusable at El Dorado Seaside? Ive heard it is very rocky and not good for swimming/wadding. Is this true?

Mentioned in this post
El Dorado Seaside Suites
El Dorado Seaside Suites
1,859 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

Yes. The beach is not suitable for swimming. There are some areas where you can wade in ...gingerly. Water shoes are a must. The beach is made up of coral sand and while it is beautiful (in certain areas), it is very hard on the feet.

A good part of the beach at El Dorado is inaccessible. There is a seawall which prevents entry.

El Dorado's beach is on a coral reef. That makes for some nice snorkeling but lousy swimming. There are far better beaches on the Mayan.

If you are content with just lying on a sunbed on the beach, it's fine.

We were extremely disappointed.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

It's a good idea to check out the aerial views. You can find them on locogringo.com or cancunmap.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

Hi, I can't wait to see it for myself cus I have heard so many different opinions about the beach! Read the latest reviews. I have heard that if you go in off the end of the pier it is deep enough to swim and a great place to snorkel. I have also read that if you head south a ways down from the resort there is a swimming beach. Everyone seems to agree that it is adviseable to wear swim shoes because of some rocks in front of EDSS. We plan on doing a day trip to the Tulum ruins and will have our beach gear with us to enjoy that wonderful beach!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Dorado Seaside and Beach?

The beach at Tulum is fabulous! Sand and water are breathtaking.

Yes you can snorkel off the pier at EDSS but the water is not deep. It's more like leaning over and putting your face in the water.

The sand at Playa del Carman is also easy on the feet. If you go, Yaxche is a nice place for lunch. It serves Mayan cuisine.

The Palladium beach (down from EDSS) has softer sand too. It's a bit of a hike from EDSS (not ideal if you're carrying towels, lotion, etc) and of course you can't avail yourself of drink service.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico