We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

First time in an actual soccer-serious country while the World Cup is going on and excited to see how that is going to be.

We're staying at La Zebra FYI.

11 replies to this topic
San Luis Potosi...
Level Contributor
739 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Unforunately all of Mexicos games are pretty early at 9AM or 10AM. Some other games are later up until 1pm. The games will be shown and repeated over and over (especially Mexicos game) all day long on practically every TV in the country. They will be in Spanish of course.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

It'll be fun, I'm sure! Find out when Mexico is playing, but also Italy, as there are a lot of Italian businesses in the area. For something like this, a lot of places that don't usually have TVs (most places on the beach do not have televisions) may well bring them in for the tournament.

The obvious beach road place will be Mateo's, they have I think 3 TVs, two up front and one in the back (used to be, anyway). But I would ask the folks at La Zebra where they think the fun will be. Maybe they'll even set up a TV there. I was at Zamas during the NBA Finals last year and they had a big screen set up inside the indoor part of the restaurant (I believe the owner is a Golden State fan); that was fun.

Ziggy's might be the type of place to bring in a TV for such an event, worth asking them as that would be a good space. Villa Las Estrellas is Italian-owned, and a few years ago he definitely had a smallish TV set up for some big game or other. But overall, I think your best bets will be in the pueblo for the real avid fans. I would check with the La Zebra team for their recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mateo's Mexican Grill
Mateo's Mexican Grill
1,738 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Zamas
Zamas
646 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Ziggy's
Ziggy's
1,311 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Villa Las Estrellas
Villa Las Estrellas
299 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Oops, RangMX gave a much better and more informed (football-wise) answer. So maybe you'll have some fun breakfast/brunch action to find!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

We will be there on June 24th and we want to watch the Colombia game 2pm EST and I guess 1pm Tulum time, I'm hoping Batey Mojito bar will play it but if not, do you guys suggest La Zebra, Ziggy's, Or Mateo's for our best shot at watching?

Edited: 12:03 pm, June 08, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ziggy's
Ziggy's
1,311 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Mateo's Mexican Grill
Mateo's Mexican Grill
1,738 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Sorry to all the Italians out there, but Italy isn’t gonna be there this yr. Mex plays June 17, 23, 27 in the group stage. Vamos México

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Wow, I am really out of touch! I had no idea that Italy didn't make it! That's a shocker (to me, knowing only some soccer history, not really what's going on now).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Yeah, the Mexico game is on at 10am local time, but on a Sunday! Unfortunately, they'll be playing Germany, so not sure if they have much of a chance - but should still be fun!

If we're hung over from the night before, a nice plate of chilaquiles while watching the entire place fixed on the tv should be a nice experience.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

I just saw a Facebook post from Villa Pescadores (north beach), they're having a 2/1 special for the World Cup games.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Pescadores Tulum
Villa Pescadores Tulum
659 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

Having worked in kitchens with workers from Mexico for a greater part of my life, let me tell you, there is nothing more fun than watching a game with them when their team is playing. The guys would always bring a TV into the kitchen and set it up to watch while working. It was always like a mini party. I hope you found a place to watch with lots of locals.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?

The La Zebra concierge told me that they’re gonna set up a tv for the World Cup games at the beach/pool - so should be quite the time!

Reply to: Where is everyone watching the World Cup in Tulum?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted