We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

So, the U.S. State Department just placed Q'Roo on a "Travel Advisory" due to "turf battles" between criminal elements. What are your thoughts? Now, when we were there back earlier in the year, I think a week after we got home there was that shooting at the club in Playa. Then another shortly after that. Previous to that, i've never once felt insecure in the area.

nypost.com/2017/…

Is the advisory due to these two incidents or are there things going on we aren't privy to? Another curious thing, do other countries warn there citizens "Hey, South Chicago has tons of shootings, stay away from Chicago"?

State Dept advisory-

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

92 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,851 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

I think the people writing those Travel Advisories for the US State Department have not traveled very much outside of the USA. Unless you are involved in the drug business (i.e. either consuming or buying / selling), I do not see any issues for the average tourist. However if one is consuming and then indirectly involved, maybe I would visit somewhere else.

¡Diviértanse!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-ch…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,813 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

I can't say if an advisory is necessary but the cartels have stepped up activity in the region. Seems to be a battle of control between several cartels for control of the area. And unless you read the local Spanish language newspapers, you will only be aware of a few incidents such as the ones you have mentioned.

Even the Mexican federal government is concerned and have sent in specially trained police to try to combat the problem. They recall what happened to the once-popular tourist Resort of Acapulco and her trying to avoid the same fate for this area.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

So Robert in your opinon am I fairly safe bringing my daughter to PDC during the day or not.

Stevens Point...
Level Contributor
335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

For the 90% of travelers that get off the plane and take a shuttle directly to an AI resort it is a non-issue. We put on over 1000 miles driving the Yucatán in two trips since March, but try to avoid the busy cities like the plague (Cun, Playa). We tend to stay off the beaten path so my biggest concerns are the car breaking down, corrupt cops, crazy drivers (lots of them) and running out of rum. Just like Chicago, Detroit or NYC, there are safe zones and danger zones. Travel smart and reduce your risk.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

The most talked about non-issue on this forum since.. well since the alleged alcohol adulteration.

To quote the change in the Mexico travel warming relevant to Quintana Roo state:

Quintana Roo (includes Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, and Tulum): U.S. citizens should be aware that according to Government of Mexico statistics, the state of Quintana Roo experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

So what is it advising? Nothing. Does it say to "defer non-essential travel" in the lingo of the State Department like it does for some other parts of Mexico? Nope. It doesn't advise you to do anything.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

Be aware, and go from there type decision, I suppose. I had never seen Q-roo on the list before. Has it ever been a travel advisory? We stay in small hotels, use Collectivo, and public buses. We're non-AI. We've booked a trip after the new year. We'll play it by ear. More than likely we'll just go.

Vermont
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

Just because something is statistically very unlikely does not mean that it is a non-issue.

The reality is that cartel violence is greater than it has been in years past. But it is also a reality that your odds of being impacted by cartel violence is EXTREMELY low. People go on vacation to relax. So it's really a personal question as to whether or not this change makes you want to look elsewhere for a vacation.

It's easy to dismiss what is happening out of hand, but a quick look at what has happened in Acapulco will show that this issue is not trivial. The good news is that, so far, the Riviera Maya and Acapulco are worlds apart when it comes to cartel violence. But the trend is definitely not in the right direction.

But I repeat. The Riviera Maya is still an extremely safe destination all things considered.

Edited: 9:45 am, August 23, 2017
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,813 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

Agree AM. I think it warns people to use caution which, I think is a good idea. Even The Mexican government is very concerned about the increase of cartel and criminal activity in these areas and local businesses in Cancun and Playa have formed vigilante groups for protection. To me the most concerning fact is that the cartels has ventured into the tourist areas which they used to avoid. While it is true they are targeting each other, not pleasant for tourists to witness a shootout on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?

I have been mainly traveling to Zihuatanejo in Guerrero, which has one of the highest rates of cartel violence, so this new advisory for this area doesn't concern me any more than usual concerns when I travel to Mexico, to be honest. Going to Isla Mujeres in late November, looking forward to it very much.

to the OP, you said:

"Is the advisory due to these two incidents or are there things going on we aren't privy to? Another curious thing, do other countries warn there citizens "Hey, South Chicago has tons of shootings, stay away from Chicago"?"

This is what Canadians are advised on our gov't site when traveling to the US in general in regards to Safety and Security:

"The possession of firearms and the frequency of violent crime are generally more prevalent in the U.S. than in Canada. Within large metropolitan areas, violent crime more commonly occurs in economically disadvantaged neighbourhoods, particularly from dusk to dawn, and often involves alcohol and/or drug consumption.

Incidents of violent crime are mainly perpetrated by gangs or members of organized crime groups. Incidents of mass shooting receive a lot of media attention, yet account for a very small percentage of all homicide deaths in the country. The likelihood of a tourist being a victim of such an incident remains low. While violent crime rarely affects tourists, be mindful of your surroundings, particularly at night. Verify official neighbourhood crime statistics before planning an outing. If you are threatened by robbers, stay calm and do not resist."

We simply don't have the numbers of firearms or homicides by firearms that the US has- it would be negligent to NOT warn us when traveling to the US about those stats, IMO. I live in a city of 250K that has one of the highest crime rates in my country - yet we just recently had only our third homicide of 2017.

Reply to: New Travel Advisory...what are your thoughts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted