We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaweed problem

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Seaweed problem

Hello all, any updates on the seaweed situation. From the web cams, it looks like it's getting bad. I will be there in June. I fell victim to the previous outbreak. Ruined my tulum trip.

260 replies to this topic
Red Bank, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
39 reviews
191. Re: Seaweed problem

I've heard Holbox is terrible, though it's not on the Caribbean, so not sure if the problem is related. I've heard Cozumel and Isla Mujeres are better options right now. All hearsay and all can change.

Perth, Australia
3 posts
1 review
192. Re: Seaweed problem

Was at PDC today, the smell horrible, all beach bars empty, nobody swimming (it would be dangerous to swim in the brown sludge). Clearly the worst of the beaches I’ve seen this week.

Tulum yesterday not much better. Was in tulum in 2013 - best beach I’ve seen (and I’m from Australia). Right now, nobody is swimming in the brown seaweed infested water.

Puerto Morelos similar - cannot swim.

Look elsewhere for beach

Edited: 4:48 pm, June 29, 2018
New York
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
13 reviews
193. Re: Seaweed problem

Akumal is horrible.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
194. Re: Seaweed problem

We are in tulum now, July 5, and the seaweed is extremely bad. I’ve been here 5 times before and Ive never seen it this bad. No one is swimming in the ocean, the color of the water is brown, and it’s a bit smelly. You can no longer walk on the firm part of the wet sand as its cover by seaweed. It’s easier to just walk on the street side. We visited the pool at coco limited instead. On another note, la eufemia has moved from the beach to another location off the street. Still very yummy tacos and margaritas.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,811 posts
674 reviews
195. Re: Seaweed problem

"We are in tulum now, July 5, and the seaweed is extremely bad"

Yeah I hear it is all over the place right now even in Miami.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
4 reviews
196. Re: Seaweed problem

Yes they say this Sargasso runs all the way from Texas to Tobago and now considered an environmental crisis in about 15 Caribbean nations. The mass is as big as the state of Texas! Can be seen from the air. It certainly is affecting tourism as it is unsightly and smells bad. Some people are reporting breathing issues and skin problems. Some beaches are removing tons of it but it is a losing battle. Very sad situation.

maine
Level Contributor
930 posts
20 reviews
197. Re: Seaweed problem

And it is not likely to go away soon if, as some believe, it is a result of the fertilizer run off from the massive coconut plantations in Brazil. Look at the labels on the products you buy. Coconut oil has become as ubiquitous as corn syrup. It's in everything. Makes you think twice.....

maine
Level Contributor
930 posts
20 reviews
198. Re: Seaweed problem

Looks like Florida is having quite a go with it, too.

https:/…article214195509.html

Not sure I would characterize it as "a gift from God", however.

Edited: 2:38 pm, July 07, 2018
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
199. Re: Seaweed problem

Here is a recent article on how Tulum is trying to manage.

https:/…2018.html

Edited: 3:08 pm, July 07, 2018
New York
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
13 reviews
200. Re: Seaweed problem

How much damage are the doing to the beach using machines to remove it?

Reply to: Seaweed problem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted