We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

After reading reviews on a few board and finding out the lindo is full, thought about maybe going all out with the maya HOWEVER it would seem it is very worthwhile to not pay the huge $ and go for teh Beach/Del Mar. Any thoughts?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

What is the price difference between the 2?

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

I think about $400 pp....justcallmemom you are going to the Lindo aren't you? In june or do I have you wrong?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

Yes, what is the difference? If it is huge, I'd go with the Del Mar/Beach - or if you are going in the summer - the A/C buffet might be worth it.

I have stayed at the Del Mar/Beach and also at the Lindo. Lindo/Maya is great for A/C in the summer, and a la carte dining every night. The gourmet restaurant is fabulous! If superb dining is important the price difference might be worth it. Otherwise the Del/Beach is an excellent resort.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra to stay at the IB Maya (mostly because I can't afford it) but I think the Lindo is definitely worth the upgrade from the IB Beach or IB del Mar.

We spent a few nights at the IB Beach and the rest of our two weeks at the IB Lindo. The Lindo is hands-down the better of the resorts. The food is better, the staff is nicer, the rooms are newer and you still have the option to eat and drink and use the facilities at the IB Beach and IB del Mar. It's nice to have the choice and not be limited on where you can and can't go.

We took a tour of the Maya and weren't that impressed for the cost.

I have photos of our trip this January (2005) if you're interested. They are photos of the Iberostar Beach/del Mar, Lindo, Maya and Tucan.

http://photos.yahoo.com/freakincoldhere

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

Thanks, your pix are great! The lindo is not an opportunity unfortunately was our first choice but is booked up!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

Yes, you got it right the Lindo in June. And that is exactly the difference I paid between Tucan and Lindo. But I went from ROH at Tucan to Jr. Suite at Lindo for the $400 and I have 2 rooms booked. And one major reason I did it was the AC in the restaurants.

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

had to laugh at your name in here....my regular email is ha_p2bamom! We really wanted the lindo but the reviews on the beach/delmar seem pretty good too....will wander over to check it out for future trips! It is so nice here right now, hard to imagine needing sun somewhere!

chicaqo
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

I am confused, can someone give me to low down on the different Iberostar's? (how many there are and what the names are). Which one has a A/C buffet? That sounds good! Is there one still being built or amI getting my AI chains mixed up?

Delran, New Jersey
Level Contributor
648 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

These 4 Iberostar resorts are right next to each other:

Paraiso Maya

Lindo

Beach

Del Mar

they share the same beach...as far as I know, the Maya is newest and most expensive. the Del Mar and/or Beach is the cheapest and oldest.

there are other IB* in or around PDC, but I don't know much about them. I think one is the Tucan and the other is a Quetzl (no idea how to spell that one...is it even a Q?) =)

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the New Iberostar (MAYA?) worth it?

kaki: This is how I understand it. I think I am right but people correct me if I am not. Basically the Ib* fall into two groups. The Maya/Lindo, Del Mar/Paraiso Beach all making up basically a very large resort. Then closer to town you have the Tucan/Quetzal. The Maya/ Lindo are the only ones to my knowledge that have air conditioned restaurants. The Maya is the newest, then the Lindo, etc. down the line. So if you book the Maya you can use all the hotels, if you book the the Del Mar you can only use Paraiso Beach facilites not the Maya or Lindo facitlities.