We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
9 posts
Save Topic
Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

I'm heading to PDC in March with a friend of mine. Looking for a place to stay and not sure if staying on the beach is better or worse than off the beach. I can spend maybe $150 a night. I don't want to be surrounded by people but I don't want to be too far away either. Big hotels are not my thing and all-inclusive places are not my thing. I would love a little comfortable bungalow or casual hacienda style place. No dinky beds with hard mattresses. Not into minimalism either. Small hotel is okay. Any suggestions or advice on location in PDC?

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

We are staying at playa maya. I have heard great things about it. Check it out here!

http://www.playa-maya.com

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

Hey Steve, you still got any rooms in March?

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

Yes, well, that is a good trick, at this late date! :-)

But I want to ask why you say "not sure if staying on the beach is better or worse than off the beach." I mean, you reference price, so if it's an economical thing, well you're almost certainly get lower prices anywhere off the beach than on it, unless you take a relatively older property with few amenities on the beach and compare it to an upscale, newer property off the beach or something.

If it's location, well 5th Ave is the center of activity through Playa, and it generally runs a block off the beach or 2, at some points, so whether you're on the beach or in town, you'd probably be about the same distance from it, either way.

If it's a question of larger resort v. smaller hotel, well you'll find a lot more of the latter in town and a lot more of the former outside of town or on the outskirts.

Don't know if that helps, but I think it just depends on what youmean precisely by "not sure if staying on the beach is better or worse than off the beach"!

Steve

California
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

I just wondered if staying on the beach would be more crowded or loud or less private. I could spend more than $150 - up to $200 perhaps for the right place. Anyway thanks for the tips and any further advice is still appreciated.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

The beach will be equally or more crowded, depend on the season, as it's more in demand. In high season, though, things will be more or less equally crowded, just because things will be running near capacity.

The beach will also probably be quieter than many places in town, given the overwhelming tendency for nightlife to be in town. A notable exception, but about the only one, to that rule would be the area of the Blue Parrott, the beach's only real nightspot.

Steve

Iowa
Level Contributor
437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

Playa Maya is a great place within your price range. Comfortable beds, nice TV's, fridge. I would go with a superior balcony or deluxe balcony. You will love their restaurant. Good food. Great location.

We will be staying at the Fusion which has done some upgrades, gets great reviews and is a bit cheaper. We were lucky to get a room there when we booked.......and Playa Maya was already booked up completely. Check out Playa.info as they have a list of pretty decent accomodations and if you make your initial contact through their site you will get a free Playa Deal card which features discounts to many restaurants, etc.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

havent stayed at playa maya - it was booked last time we were there(we went w/ no reservations). its not like anything is all that far from the beach. on 5th i imagine it would be kind of loud til late. PDC is not an overpirced place so your $$ should be fine to get a very nice place of your choice.

cleveland
Level Contributor
346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

THE PLAYA MAYA

Some people i know stayed there and they couldn't stop talking about how great it was and how great the service was and how friendly the staff was. Well they talked my wife and my self into staying there and we are april 8,2007 can't wait.

My wife and i took the bus down from Cancun to spend the day in playa. We were walking down the beach when we ran into the same cleveland folks we mentioned before who were staying at the PLAYA MAYA. We thought the place looked so cool we asked the owner Steve if we could check it out what a great place. He was nice enough to give us a grand tour we were so impressed. We said the next time we come we have to stay there thank god there was a room available for us.

9. Re: Where should I stay in PDC - on beach or off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, August 23, 2009