We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking advice needed

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking advice needed

My friend and I will be meeting in PDC for a one week holiday at the Royal Playa del Carmen property. She lives in Knoxville and I live in Dallas. She will be using her Delta miles to fly to Cancun whilst I prefer to do a air + hotel + airport transfer package. Our outbound and return flights arrive/depart at about the same time so the meetup point will be at the Cancun airport where we then will need round trip ground transport to the property.

As we are both retirees, I'm looking for a cost effective way to book this trip without separately having to do air, hotel and airport transfers. That's going to be too expensive.

I've explored American Airlines Vacations, Expedia and Travelocity and I'm not seeing what I need to book these arrangements.

Ideally, I'd like to book a package on one of these sites and add her on the hotel and transfer part but I don't think that can be done.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
18,050 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#3 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Petit Lafitte
Petit Lafitte
#5 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fairmont Mayakoba
Fairmont Mayakoba
#11 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Port Coquitlam...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking advice needed

try bookit.com that is what we use

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking advice needed

I've been heavily researching prices for past two weeks and bookie comes in higher every time once they add their fees.

If it were me- I would book the Royal on hotels.com using their 4th of July sale prices.

I'd go on kayak and put in my dates then customize to which flight times work and book with airline directly.

Then I'd get into CUN, walk straight outside the terminal to the convenient luxury motor coach called ADO and pay the ridiculously low fare to get straight into PDC without stopping by every resort on the way. Once in PDC I'd walk outside the bus station and grab a pedicab or taxi to run me over to RPDC for a few pesos.

But that's how I would do it!

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del...
18,050 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Ado
Ado
643 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking advice needed

Your plan assumes everything will go swimmingly well! What if one or both flights are delayed or cancelled?

How would you communicate that to each other? Because of this possibility, you must work out a plan B where each person can make their way to the resort independently of the other.

Ado bus is a great and cheap option especially since the bus station in PdC is close to the Royal.

With that said, any transfer that would be offered thru a package deal is most likely a "shared " transfer, and the normal 40 min via private transport can easily turn into over 2 hrs depending on how many others need to be dropped off before you, not to mention the wasted time at the curb waiting for shared Van to fill with stragglers and no- shows.

Post #2 gave good booking suggestions for your unusual scenario IMO.

Good luck

Edited: 2:42 pm, July 02, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
643 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
The Royal Playa del...
18,050 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking advice needed

I would recommend a travel agent. I always use one and they're paid to put packages together. Personally I do not include transfers for Mexico. I book that separately through Canada Transfers. PM me for more information.

Edited: 3:13 pm, July 02, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,876 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking advice needed

Btw the ADO costs less than $10pp and is a clean, reliable form of transportation used by many on a daily basis. I did a shared transfer once and will never do it again. The luxury motor coaches they use are air conditioned have very comfortable seats, and play a movie. You would not be waiting but a few minutes for it to load. It's a very inexpensive and fast way to get to PDC.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
643 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Georgia
Level Contributor
431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking advice needed

In addition to bookit.com, check cheapcaribbean.com, orbitz.com, and resortvacationstogo.com. You can also contact tripguy.com. They will match any online rate and provide very good service. I've used them for our past few trips. A friend and her daughter joined us on our last trip...she used bookit.com to book most of her trip, but shared the transfers with us (which I booked as part of our package with tripguy).

Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking advice needed

There is no significant savings or value added trying ro finesse the transfer arrangements as you envision.

Since you both arrive at relatively the same tim i it doesnt have to be complicated. You both should book rindependant r/t transfers to your hotel separarely online from same company soecifying same arrival time.

Suggest USA Transfers, Canada Transfers or Best Day, I've usd them all with good l results and competutive prucing.

Then judt meet up inside airport as you planned and both of you go to the transfer company's checkin rep together.

If you are concerned about waiting or multiple hotel stops simply book private r/t transfers. Agree with one of the responders that the ADO bus is very inexpensive, but once tou get to PDC terminal you will still ned a taxi some other means to get to your hotel so the saving evaporates at that point. Keep it simple as ai suggest and you'll have the best results.

Mentioned in this post
USA Transfers
USA Transfers
8,668 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Canada Transfers
Canada Transfers
4,876 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Ado
Ado
643 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking advice needed

"once tou get to PDC terminal you will still ned a taxi some other means to get to your hotel so the saving evaporates at that point"

Depending upon how far your resort is from the ADO terminal in Playa del Carmen, this could be true. However, the resort in question is the RPDC which is right IN town and thus only a short cab ride from the ADO terminal.

In the circumstances, the ADO bus gets my vote. The OP and her friend can either wait for each other and take it together or take it separately and meet up at their resort. This also works if one of them is delayed - agree to wait for x minutes/hours at the airport and if the second person still hasn't arrived, the first one makes their own way to the resort. If you're sharing a room, make sure the reservation is in BOTH names so whomever gets there first can check in.

I'm a fan of private transfers but there are situations when they're not the best choice, especially if a person is more budget-conscious.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
643 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Intervale, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking advice needed

Myself and others have had a really bad experience with Bookit. I have used Expedia, Orbitz and Booking.com with no problems.

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking advice needed

Thank you for all of the replies

I have the ground transport figured out but I'm still struggling with finding an air + hotel package that will allow me to add a guest on the hotel end

The only option as I see it is this:

- Book a single room online for two

- Book a RT ticket online DFW to CUN for me

I know I can connect with a TA to help me but given the fee associated with that, I don't see a TA doing any better than I can using Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, etc.

Am I wrong thinking that?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico