We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East Coast
Level Contributor
81 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

Staying at AI (Playacar Palace) - first time in Mexico:

1. Would staff appreciate small items (such as lotions, note cards from where we come from, baseball caps etc) as appreciation besides $$$ or is that insulting here? Maids, bellhops etc?

2. Whats truly easier for them pesos or USD's? ( I know - no ripped bills!)

3. On the AI tours (say to Tulum) can you stay and taxi back (at your own expense of course) or do they insist that you return with them?

4. I 've read and read about the run-arounds with rooms on check-in (they give you from bad to better if you keep complaining, saying no this won't do etc etc)? Any real suggestions??? Sugar vs Vinigar? Or just "here's some $$$ can we just do this room switch once so we can start our vacation"?

5. Women traveling alone - okay and trusting to take taxi's to farther tourist locations? How about Collectivo - okay for women traveling with a macho man?

Finally.....is it true you can use other resort facilities also (say other Palace resorts) ie: Cozumel Palace, Adventura Palace pools, beaches etc) with same privledges once they staple that wristband on????

Thank you!!!!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

1. Definitely not, imho. This is not Cuba or Haiti where they have no access to imported goods, and there is a WalMart down the street. give them $$ and let them decide what to do with it. how many baseball caps and Chinese-made trinkets can one person really use?

2. Doesn't really matter, pesos I guess. As long as they can divide or multiply a number by 10, it's about the same difference. The conversion is very easy.

3. They will leave without you if you are not on time for the return trip, so I doubt it would make any difference. Fwiw, you paid for the ride mostly, you are just wasting money by doing this. Tulum to PDC is not a cheap cab ride.

4. Never run into that one before. Always get what we paid for.

5. not clear what you are asking, please be specific. you are probably safer traveling as a single woman in the RM than in the States. Collectivo is okay for pretty much anybody. I can't believe people think they're not safe.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

Stayed at the Playacar last year and yes you can use the amenities at the other Palace resorts. Coz Palace was closed when we were there but have read about many others taking the ferry over and using their facilities.

We left tips on the bed and handed bartenders, wait staff their tips. Won't matter to them what kind of currency it is but I would assume pesos would be easier. They do appreciate tips.

We never had a problem getting as good room but I emailed their P.R. guy ahead of time begging for a room with a balcony and good view. They were also only at about 60% capacity during our stay. Just be persistant. There was no opportunity to discreetly hand someone money at check-in time when we were there but if you don't like your room I think you could speak to the person taking you up to your room after check in they may be able to help.

East Coast
Level Contributor
81 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

Thank you for your insight - much appreciated.

4. Re: Been there's - Done that's - What works best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, August 25, 2009