We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acidophilus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monroe
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
acidophilus

Hi,

Someone told me to take acidophilus to help prevent stomach issues while in Mexico. Has anyone ever heard of this? Also the bottle says refrigerate once open - is that necessary?

Thanks - leaving in 9 days:)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
380 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: acidophilus

Hi Meg. Yes, I have heard of this. This also goes by the name of Bifidus. It is a naturally occuring bacteria and is found in some yogurt. I have not taken Acidophilus in either liquid or pill form but do take it in Yoplait Fat Free Yogurt. Many people on this board swear by it. Also, you may want to take some Pepto Bismal. We took a bottle in the pill form and it is great if your system gets a little upset. Personally I believe one's system gets upset from all the fruit juice and liquor not the food. Both my husband and I each had one day of feeling a little off and the Pepto Bismal was great.!!! (So was the tequila and mojitos the night before)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acidophilus

Good acidopholus usually needs to be refrigerated, but you can find some that will last at least a week or two without it. That being said, it has yet to help me in Mexico.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acidophilus

Acidophilus helps some but not others but it certainly won't hurt especially if you don't like yogurt. If it is the kind that has to be refrigerated I think it's because heat will kill the active culture in the pills. The friendly bacteria are already in your gut but by taking the pills you are increasing them so hopefully if you ingest bad bacteria the increased good bacteria will fight the bad off and digestive problems will be lessened. Bismuth or Pepto tablets are also said to have an ingredient in them to kill bacteria so daily taking of them can help as well. If upset stomach occurs then you can increase the tablets to one at every mealtime. Don't forget immodium as well for really bad situations. From some articles I've read they seem to suggest not taking immodium unless absolutely necessary because diarrhea is natures way of getting rid of the offending bug and if you prevent that then the problem can linger for a longer time. If you notice tummy upset then don't eat solid foods for 24 to 48 hours, a liquid diet helps flush the bugs out.. Yes you will feel like you're starving but it really helps and then gradually introduce soft foods and then go to solids-it gives your digestive system a much needed rest. Hopefully these ideas from other travellers and articles I've read will help you out.

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: acidophilus

Great information - Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
584 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: acidophilus

I buy freeze-dried acidophilus in a health store. I have been told that the type you buy at drug stores and does not require to be refridgerated does not actually do anything. I do just have my kids eat yogurt. Always have been able to find yogourt in Mexico, but please check the expiration dates.