We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Detroit
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

Hi there--- We've never been to the Riviera Maya before and would like some feedback on the above resort chains. Our travel agent recommended staying at one of the two. Here's some of the features we find important--- could someone provide some insight/guidance? Thanks!

What we like:

- All Incusive (with access to other resorts) with quality food/beverages

- Lazy River to float the day away on

- Swim- Up Bar

- Service on the beach

- Lush surroundings (lots of greenery)

Thanks again for you input!!

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

We've been to Iberostar Lindo/Maya and the Riu Palaces in PDC several times.

Only lazy river is at the Lindo, don't base your decision on that, it is REALLY LAZY. Once around and the thrill was gone.

What time of year are you going= if in summer, stay at a place that has AC in all the restaurants, including the buffets.

Iberostars have ALOT of kids.and some of the IB/s are a long way from any town. Just some things to consider.

Both are excellent choices.

Detroit
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

Thanks, Debbie. On that note, we are looking at April or May for our trip.

We had heard that lazy rivers can be alot of fun--- that there was even one that connected several hotels. Is this the case?

Also, we really like swim-up bars. Any insights on them? Also, the reason we have chosen these two chains is due to dining options. Would you recommend another?

Thanks again!

Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

I have never stayed at a RIU, buy stayed next to the RIU in Negril. It was an OK place, but I think IB's are better in general. Just my opinion...

I have stayed at 2 IB's and can tell you the swim up bars are the best I have seen. Great bar tenders and the festive atmosphere there (the ones at the Del Mar were great) make for quite the party.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

The Riu Yucatan has 2 swimup bars and 2 poolside bars. The bartenders are a lot of fun. No beach service, but has a self serve bar.The Riu Tequila is across the street and has an active nightlife. The beach here is really good, but some complain of the lack of shade. The grounds are well manicured and has lots of trees. The buffet is huge and really good. There are 4 (I think) speciatly restaurants. Very, very few children here.

Never been to an IB, but can't hardly imagine them being any better than the Yucatan. I know they are pricier, but that is no gauge.

Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

I haven't been to the IB's but have been to both the old and new Riu Palaces. I think the new palace would meet your needs the best. The new palace has beach service and a great swim-up bar. It is also within walking distance (10 minutes) of four other Riu properties. The food and service is great.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

Lazy River- is in the Lindo/Maya complex. It just goes in a circle. THose 2 resorts share it. Get in and out at the same place.

Swim up bar- very cool one at the Lindo/Maya pool. Also a nice outside bar there also. The pool is the biggest one I've ever seen in my life.

The only thing I didn't like, if you want to go into town and party at night, it's about 15 miles down the highway. THis place is pretty isolated. Otherwise it's outstanding.

Midwest City...
Level Contributor
498 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

Is there a beach at the new Palace?

Ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

We chose the Iberostar Lindo - main reason is the a la cartes. Leaving next Friday! There is no limit (other than availability) and you can book them all as soon as you arrive.

In Punta Cana at the RIU, you had to line up each morning to request a restaurant for that evening. We are not early risers, so would never think of setting the alarm to wait in line for a dinner reservation each and every day. We would be eating at the buffet every night.

You may want to check this out at the RIU in Mexico if you prefer the a la carte dining.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

We stayed @ the Iberostar Toucan resort, which was highly recommended by very knowledgeable friends, in Playa Del Carmen 2 yrs. ago, and really loved it. Riu is very close, and also looked fabulous, but really can't comment beyond that.

Iberostar's grounds are beautiful, with a mini jungle separating the main lobby/dining areas from the beach. Beautiful exotic birds walk freely on the property.

Food was quite good, and lots of it!

If you like to walk, it's about a 40 min. jaunt to the little town of Playacar, where you can catch a ferry to Cozumel. (you can also take a cab)

You can also use any of the facilities @ the other Iberostar properties in the area.

I'd definitely return to the iberostar!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu vs. Iberostar Resorts

We've been to both and I do not recommend the RIU resort over Iberostar. The Iberostar Paraiso has a beautiful pool - not quite the lazy river you described - however its huge, free form and there is a floating area that cuts through the resort to the waterfalls.

The RIU Palace Mexico pool (it looks like a Lotus flower in a circle) was a disappointment. Too small.

Mentioned in this post
Lotus
Lotus
1 Review
Playa del Carmen, Mexico