We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
amsterdam
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

Has anyone got information about the beaches in front of and near the Viva Azteca?? And does anyone know if the construction-site next to the Azteca is a problem (noise, dust, etc.)? Looking forward to our first visit to Mexico (in may), and we would like to make it a succes, but feeling a bit worried because of the damage Ivan did to the beaches and the appearance of the construction site next to the hotel. By the way, does anyone have good advice on renting a car for a day? Thanks a lot

Netherlands
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

Dutchie, we are going to Viva Azteca in the summer and are also looking forward to our first visit to Mexico. From the pictures I've seen the beach at Viva Azteca is pretty damaged, but (I hope) it's going to be better in the next few months. I'm more worried about the construction next to Via Azteca.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

There is no beach left -- wiped out. Most visitors staying at the Viva Azteca are walking to the Viva Maya to use the beach. A good walk carrying all one's beach supplies.

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

Type Azteca into the search bar and hit go. Then scroll down to find my post with the photos. Some posts deeper in the same post are from March 2 2005. To say the beach is wiped out is being a bit harsh. Some shoreline has been moved back, and there is a very very large wall, but you will see in my photos people swimming and sitting on the beach. Lets just say the beach is very much changed from my previous stay at the Azteca in 2003. However is it still great.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

Sitting on top of each other like ants on a small cliff is NOT great. I have seen MANY pictures of the beach this year. I would be really upset if I spent my money for this beach. There are many other places to go for about the same money and have a beautiful beach. SOrry - the beach is really important to us. It is the only reason we go on vacation.

ou can pick a car up at the airport but don't use the rental places inside the airport. Go outside and across the BLVD to rent. You can drop car off in PDC for a one way trip.

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

Sun your right and I would be upset too if I had again paid 7000 to return to the Azteca. I loved the Azteca and mean to do them no harm. Yep their beach is in very bad shape, as the photos I took show. Fun can still be had.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

I was really disappointed to see some of the photos. We really were interested in staying there.

Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

We are already booked, there is nothing I can do now. So we will just have to hang out at the Maya during the day. How far of a walk is it to go down there? Is it a terribly long walk for the 4 kids to go to? Also, no problem eating there if we want to all the time? Meaning the Maya, even though I am staying at the Azteca. I was wondering these questions. Thanks in advance.

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The beaches near Viva Azteca (and other questions)

When we were there there was no problem eating at the Maya. In fact the beach kitchen was more geared to kids. Always had French Fries, Pizza, chicken fingers and hot dogs. The walk was easier when you could stroll the beach. Than option is now gone as you can see from my photos. The sea wall of the Allegro is plainly the last time you would be dry. The street stroll will take you about 5 minutes Azteca to Maya, however the Maya is set waaaaay back off the road, but the walk through the Maya grounds is great. The road between is safe wide and not really that busy. The sidewalk is back form the paving stone roadway. Watch for bikes. Being that the Maya beach was huge before the storms I think it will be the winner now.