We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting sick from food/water

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
getting sick from food/water

I have been reading the messages posted with great interest, but have not found any that mention food (and getting sick from it or the water) Obviously one must be prudent, and drink only bottled water etc, but what about for ex. eating fresh fruit/vegetables, that would have been washed in regular water.

Besides the usual possibilities, has anyone gotten really sick?

Thank you,

Evita

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting sick from food/water

Evita -

Yesterday I searched under diarrhea and found some great threads with great advice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,424 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting sick from food/water

I am in the area often and have yet to really have a problem. Of course, you should drink bottled water--even the locals do that. As far as fruits, vegetables, I eat those, too--the restaurants wash in a solution that takes care of any problems.

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting sick from food/water

Here is a good link to check out and then you can also look up individual information on bacteria, noroviruses and parasites if you want. www.cdc.gov/travel/food-drink-risks.htm

New York, New York
Level Contributor
374 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting sick from food/water

I was in PDC a couple of weeks ago for six days. My boyfriend and I did not get sick at all. Just be careful to drink only bottled water and brush your teeth with bottled water. All of the water they serve at the restaurants is bottled also. No problems with the fruit either.

Prior Lake, MN
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting sick from food/water

We just returned from Playa and our youngest boy, age 5 got really sick. He started his symptoms a few days after we returned home. Extreme vomiting and diarrhea, took him to the hospital for dehydration and they prescribed anti-nausea meds and meds for diarrhea. The dr here said he had ingested fecal matter. Our older son, age 8 got the same thing just not as severe. The dr here said that they see a few spring breakers come back with this and it can be found in the food or even pool water. After we learned this we do remember seeing young children swimming in the pool in the nude. We did have a great trip, this was just something the unfortunately happened.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting sick from food/water

Freezin,

Another possible (And quite possibly more likely) source of his contamination. A 5 year old will not always wash his/her hands properly after a trip to the bathroom. 30 seconds under the hottest water you can stand is what is required to properly clean your hands.

Evita,

There are pills you can take to prevent this from occurring. Pepto Bismol is good to prevent and treat Montezuma's revenge (MR). Yogurt taken everyday beginning a week before your trip and each day of your trip coats your stomach and helps prevent acquiring MR. Also Acidopholis pills seem to help some people. Check with your pharmacist for other remedies.

Joe

CT
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: getting sick from food/water

Freezincold, What resort did you stay at?? Just curious. We stayed at the IPB last November. None of us got sick.We ate fruit, vegis, etc... We did drink only bottled water though.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
103 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting sick from food/water

There have been forum topics about this - just use a few different search words. I was pretty worried about it and loaded up on Immodium, Pepto-Bismol... I took 2 Pepto-Bismol tablets before dinner the first few nights then forgot about it. The 5 people I was with and I never had a problem and we ate all the risky things - salad, fruit, seafood , ice, etc. I started brushing with bottled water but kept forgetting so stopped. If you're in a large resort they use filtered water. Drink bottled everywhere else and avoid of fresh vegetables and salads off-site. Go prepared with medication then forget about it and enjoy your trip.

Northeast Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting sick from food/water

Evita,

Don't know what caused it, but I got sick about 5 days after getting home. Was sick off and on for about three weeks. Doctor said could be back-to-back viruses or picking up something down there. Whatever the cause, I am not in a rush to return. I only drank and used bottled water but did eat fresh fruit every day. Nice resort, no issues with cleanliness. I took acidophilus before we left and while there and home. Pepto too, upon return. Nothing helped. Good luck!!

Vegas man-

No, sometimes kids don't wash their hands too well, but I think it is a little too coincidental that both kids got sick after being in Mexico. If they have poor washing habits I'm sure they would be getting sick at home, too. Put kids in pools and these things tend to happen, unfortunately.

Sue

Oshkosh, WI
Level Contributor
483 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting sick from food/water

Add me to the list of those who got sick. Don't know what from, but lasted almost two weeks......Makes me not want to go to Mexico for a while and I usually go every year..