We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PDC always this bad?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Is PDC always this bad?

Last year we stopped in PDC for lunch on our way from Tulum to Puerto Morales and were severely disappointed. We were just there for 90 min and had enough with being offered weed and cocaine on every block and being hassled by every shop and restaurant hawker on 5th ave.

Is PDC always like this or should we skip it entirely on our next trip?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

I have long skipped Playa, as the locals call it. Many years ago, I found it a good place to visit but now pretty much find it as you described it. Some seem to enjoy the carnival atmosphere of 5th Av. I am not one.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
574 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

I plan to skip it overrated. Nothing special

Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

I never have seen the attraction of 5th Ave.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

I still enjoy Playa but stay away from 5 Ave. I have never been offered drugs of any kind in the past 6 years I have stayed there. The best restaurants are beyond 30 Ave, cheaper and where locals eat.

When you go to Puerto Morelos, I hope you check out El Nicho, on the main square, fantastic food (closes at 2:00)

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

We get a thread like this decrying how badc Playa is every, I dunno, 6 mos, maybe? Runs for a fair amount of time. Some chime in in agreement, others comment that they like it, or still like it, or that they like it if you just avoid the overly tourist aspect or some such thing. The upshot is to each, his/her own, but that more people like it than dislike it, and the place keeps going. :-)

Steve

Canada
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

"Last year we stopped in PDC for lunch "

I dunno, just have to ask.... if you were there last year why the post now? Do you really think you will like it better a second time?

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,165 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

Yep.....that is now an expected part of Playa del Carmen. :)

At least I expect it.

Edited: 6:39 am, November 01, 2015
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,870 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

I think it is an expected part of most places in the area. As PM says, it is to each his own. And as far as "but that more people like it than dislike it, and the place keeps going" , that is what amazes me about Cancun. I was there almost at the start of the place and even had a condo for some time, but no more.

I should add, as far as the drugs go, I do not recall in all these years being offered drugs a single time. Offered everything else, ha ha.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

Robert, I also after 30 plus trips to Mexico have never been offered drugs. A Timeshare maybe but not drugs!

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,165 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is PDC always this bad?

My husband (who looks like your every day run of the mill grandpa from Minnesota) gets offered drugs at least once every trip. Often more. He assumes it is because he looks hip and edgy. :)

I let him think that.

Edited: 7:18 am, November 01, 2015