We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

Well, there was good and not so good.

We stayed at the Royal Haciendas, so first I will talk about the place. It really is very beautiful, however, if you are going to stay there before 7/07, be prepared to either not stay at the resort much or do pretty much nothing (which is fine for relaxing and reading books and so forth). If it is the latter, be prepared to usually be one of 2-3 tables in the restaurants, be the only party in the bar (if you are lucky, another party may be there), and generally be to yourselves the whole time. You could not really rely on the schedules for things to happen or be open (the gym closed earlier then scheduled by a few hours a couple days because nobody was using it, events listed on the itinerary did not happen (Karaoke on Fridays), the lap pool was in repair all week, so there was no pool volleyball. The gym part was pretty frustrating as we like to work out and schedule ourselves accordingly. There is construction going on every day (minor construction on Sunday) that you clearly hear all over the place. There were many bugs/mosquitos that prevented us from using the balcony too much (sitting out there for only a couple minutes, I had 3 mosquitos in my drink and had a few bites). There are currently 55 villas open (that is what I was told and by the number of buildings and villas per building, it seems about right) and they were mostly occupied. But, it seemed that more people went away from the resort because of the lack of people, then stayed at the resort. The resort itself looks great. The grounds of the finished part were very nice. The villas were excellent, beds comfortable, balconies big with Jacuzzis. The lobby bar is beautiful as is the La Palapa restaurant. The employees were friendly and helpful as you would expect from the Royal Resorts. All in all, I have high expectations the next time I go when the first phase will be complete and there are more people. They need to figure out a way to try to minimize the amount of flys/mosquitos (maybe some bug lamps on the balconies that the people can use when they are out there?). I knew going into this vacation that there would not be many people and was looking forward to it, but the feeling of really being one of only a few people everywhere we went became too much for us. So, most all of the issues I feel will be fixed with the finishing of the first phase and this resort will be incredible, until then, not so much in my opinion.

However, that did not limit us from having an incredible vacation. The first thing I would recommend is DEFINITELY renting a car. This paid off for us 10 times. The resort is about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown Playa (depending on traffic). Having a car gave us the flexibility of coming and going whenever we wanted and it was great. Parking was no problem in Playa, we always found a spot around 5th Ave. The result of the resort not having much to do, led us to experience Playa just about every day and take a trip to Akumal and Tulum (again not on tours, with our car). Playa is just a great little town. I could walk up and down 5th Ave all day long. It is filled with wonderful restaurants and bars and boutique shops. The main beach in Playa is Mamitas and it is very nice (not as nice as the beaches in Cancun in my opinion, but still very nice). You can rent a lounge chair and relax all day there. We took a day trip down to Tulum to see the ruins, which were nice, but then we went a little further to the Tulum beaches and ate at this great little place on the beach called Ana y Jose and just hung out on the beautiful Tulum beaches all day.

So this is just a short trip report, not a day by day account, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to help.

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

I would disagree that Mamitas Playa is the main beach in Playa del Carmen. The central part of Playa is between the 2 piers. Mamitas is in the north sector of what is now Playa. Playa del Carmen was once a fishing village at one time and there was nothing in the north end along the beach. Look down using Google Earth and it is easy to see where the main part of Playa is.

The beaches in Cancun vary greatly just as they vary all up and down the penninsula. Some are nothing but a pile of rocks.

Good beaches are personal. Some are used more than others. The area by Mamitas is used a lot because many small hotels use it as "their" beach. Also all the locals wanting a beach are being pushed up that way to find a place that isn't in front of a resort.

It'll be a while before the Royal Hacienda has to worry about being in a crowded beach area. There are a lot of timeshare units to pedal for this to happen.

East Brunswick, NJ
Level Contributor
732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

Hi meleshkk! I'm so glad that you posted about your trip. I know you were at the Haciendas after us. I'm curious as to what floor your villa was on. We were on the 4th floor, D2 building, and we didn't experience the mosquitos/flies like you did. Most every night my husband and I sat on the balcony, sometimes for hours, and we weren't bit at all (nor bugs in the drinks!) Yes, it was pretty quiet, but we liked it like that.. I agree, it will be spectacular once the other horseshoes are built and more people/activities are added.

New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

MnViking45 - Maybe I considered it to be the main beach as it was the most crowded, however, during the time I was there, they were having a jazz festival right there also, so if at 'normal' times it is not considered the main beach then I stand corrected.

Dee33 - We stayed in unit C320, so it was in the last building. Maybe that had something to do with it, but while in La Palapa, I was getting bitten a lot also. The times that I did lay out by the pool at Royal Haciendas, there were constantly flies flying around me and on me also. Could there be a difference between times (I know you went only a week or two before us, but maybe because of the rainy season, this was the time that they come out?) I don't know, but I didn't like that too much.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
325 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

Meleshkk,

I had a similar situation in late September early October 2003 in Cabo San Lucas. The flies were unbearable at dinner. Luckily, I found a nice mild Fonseca cigar that I would light and intermittently blow the flies away with. I would ask people we were sitting by if they minded and even the most anti-smoke people were my best friend at dinner. Sweet Cigar smoke better than flies anyday. The bug lamps did not help. I know the Haciendas is basically cut out of jungle so I imagine the flies get stirred up. But since Dee didn't experience the same bug problems...I wonder if it had anything to do with a Tropical Storm. The flies in Cabo were after a Hurricane blew through and the locals said the flies came in with the weather pattern. Was Hurricane John in the region during the week you went??? I have been analyzing the rental car thing too. Problem is I doubt any of the intermediate or sedan type cars will fit with my two kids, 2 adults and then if we wanted to travel anywhere 2 in-laws. I have never seen a caravan offered for any "deal". Has anyone else???

East Brunswick, NJ
Level Contributor
732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

Meleshkk:

I think it's really weird the difference between our Royal Haciendas experiences re. bugs. I heard that an advantage of an upper floor is to get away from the mosquitos, but we both had upper floors. I was there week 44 and my husband stayed on for 45 also and we collectively we had no bug experiences at all. I did see some maintenance people spraying pesticides for insects in the hallways one day . . . My husband recalls when we first visited the site over a year and a half ago, before any construction started and it truly was just a jungle, there were bugs. Maybe the difference is that your villa was right next to the construction and we were up front by the main pool? Hopefully it will be better next year when the construction is done and the new children's pool will be built to the side of your building.

6. Re: Small Trip Report -Royal Haciendas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 24, 2009