We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is definition of a "Troll"?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
What is definition of a "Troll"?

Just curious......I have been reading forums pertaining to some users being trolls. I have somewhat of an idea of what a troll is but can someone give me the definition?

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

The "underneath the bridge" analogy is a good one.

Trolls exist to make trouble for others and they do it by stealth, anonymously.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

SusieQ: This is just my opinion. I have never posted the term "troll" but agree with the term. I believe it is a person who takes a great forum like TA and turns it into a mean spirited, nasty place. It is a person who uses ethnic, racial and gender slurs to insight people. I think that is it a person so unsure of themselves and the crappy life they live that they need to make others as unhappy as themselves.

Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

They also probably look like the "troll" that stars on the expedia.com ads lol!

Level Contributor
555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

Or maybe that is a knome lol! sorry

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

Not sure but I think the one living under this bridge is a troll only because it rymes with A** H***

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is definition of a "Troll"?

A troll does not have be racist, swear, or slur anyone.

A better comparison would be 'trolling' when you fish, moving very slowly while hoping to catch something.

A forum troll simply places small, subtle (sometimes not so small or subtle) posts and then 'lurks' in the forums and gets their jollies when legitmate users become excited or agitated by this 'trolls' successful baiting.

Or so it always is.