We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

Should we bring the car seat? I called Funjet and was told that they have car seats on the shuttles, but somehow I fear that this won't be the case. Plus if we take a tour on a bus, do they even have seat belts to secure the car seat? Is it worth it for the plane ride alone.

Also, any problems with ice cubes in drinks or with the water in general?

Are there stores in the resort or nearby that sell diapers, OTC medications, etc...? Just in case I forget or run out of anything.

Our room reservation say "double room". Are they all like this? My agent didn't know anything about the rooms at this resort. I was asking for a one bedroom, but was told it's not available.

How is the kids club? Any details? Safety?

Anything tips for traveling with kids and staying at Gala?

2 years and 6 years.

Thanks, I haven't traveled in a very long time!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

No objections here. Would rather hear the input on this. Especially knowing that we want to try the kids club. We'll have to check it out first and then make a decision.

I feel sorry for the little boy that wanted to play with his dad. They're on vacation and should enjoy their time together.

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

I felt like crying...I got the impression that it was a father and girlfriend, not the boys mother. All that woman was worried about was staking out her chairs at the beach...I mean, how hard would it be to let a 10 year old be with you at the beach?

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

Just back from Playa with my 2 year old and 4 year old. I bring a car seat for my 2 year old to use on the plane. She loves it and falls asleep and when she is not asleep she stays put for the entire flight. We also rented a car so we didn't have to haul seats around. Others at our hotel (Shangri-la Caribe) also rented cars for this same reason. If you are traveling around I would definitely rent a car (we rented minivan) as opposed to taking tours or buses - especially with kids.

We are heading back to Shangri-la in May and this time we are not renting a car because we saw the hotel to airport vans and they are so nice and had seatbelts. Also the cabs into town were so easy and didn't use any busy roads so I am perfectly comfortable with the kids riding without seatbelts.

I plan on storing my 2 year olds car seat at the front desk for duration of stay and just using it on plane and to/from airport. I don't think I will even worry about car seat for 4 year old. I'll just use regular seatbelt in van.

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Going to Gala with a toddler. Car seat question. Misc...

My opinion of Kids Clubs - they may be great for older kids but my 4 year old was perfectly happy just digging in the sand. Our hotel does not offer organized activities and we chose it for that reason. The kids are so organized every day at home, let them just chill and they are so creative and will find amazing natural things to entertain them. Shangri-la did have a paint your own pottery stand and my son loved that! Other than that we enjoyed walking on the beach, taking out a sea kayak (for about 10 minutes) and boogie-boarding.

We bought some sand toys near the ferry for Cozumel and that was their activity for 4 days and they were never bored!