We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40 something in Playa del Carmen

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeside, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
40 something in Playa del Carmen

I was just wondering if the majority of the people who go to playa are really young?? My huband and I are in our mid 40's and hope to meet other couples while there. This is our first trip to Mexico and are really looking forward to adult company. Anyone going mid Nov , we would love to hook up and have a drink or dinner. We are staying at the Royal Porto Real. I hope this is a good choice as the reviews seem pretty favorable.

Thanks

Caroline

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

Compared to Cancun, I would not say that the majority of people who visit PDC are young. When my husband and I were in our early 20's we enjoyed Cancun, but now that we are older we enjoy PDC much more. Not that we don't like to have fun....but the atmosphere is much more our style. It's more of a "pub" than a "club" atmosphere....not all the annoying Spring Breakers.

We stayed at the RPR earlier this year and loved it......even though it's an AI resort, I really encourage you to go out for dinner a couple nights in town. The prices are reasonable and it's great to sit outside and people watch. Our favorite bar is the Tequila Barrel....great atmosphere and plenty of streetside seating.

Lakeside, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

Thanks Conard 10

We will eat out some Which were your favorite restaurants. Will definatly try the tequilla barrel. Iread the night life at the hotel can get pretty lame. Appreciate any suggestions you have.

Caroline

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

I am in my 40's and love this part of Mexico. There are some younger people but I would say the majority is in their mid 30's and up. The Royal Porto is a gorgeous resort, you'll love it.

Be sure to check out 5th Ave. at night, that's when it's the most fun. (Store vender's have mostly closed by 11:00 p.m.)

The Tequila Barrell is a fun place, older crowd but can still get a little crazy, check out the dance pole in the back. I also like the

Fah Bar which is part of the Siesta Fiesta Hotel on 5th for it's live music, they have some pretty awesome bands there. If you want to check out some salsa music go to the Mambo Cafe just off of 5th, I think it's on 8th St.?

Just one word of caution, if you go into any bar and they start a tab for you, make sure you keep track of exactly what you have ordered, they all seem to like to add on addtional drinks to your order. Your best bet is to go up to the bar and order your own drinks then insist on paying right away.

While you are there you need to make it down to the Blue Parrot one night, they are the most popular bar for the younger generations but it's right on the beach so it's neat to see.

Some other good places are the La Ranita and The Beer Bucket both of these are between 5th Ave. and 10th Ave. (sorry I can't remember the exact street names). Make sure you try a Mojito while you are there.

toronto canada
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

My sister and I are going Nov 13 for 7 days. We are in our eraly 40's and staying at Riu Tequila

Maryland
Level Contributor
699 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

Check out the forums here: www.playa.info

You will find a ton of fun 30-40 somethings and beyond! They seem to be very open and welcoming to newcomers who want to enjoy the beach, bars, etc. just like they do!

I am a newbie and I can't wait to get there and meet some of the "peeps" from Playa.Info. Check it out.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

BeachBoundBaby: My friend and I are going Nov. 16-23 and staying at the Allegro Playacar which is in walking distance fom PDC.. is what I am told. What dates are you going to be there. We are in our mid 40's also. This is my fifth trip and my friends first time.

Show Low, Arizona
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

Kimillard,

We will be there Nov 14th to the 21st, Maybe we can meet for a drink on fifth ave. Let me know where since you have been there plan on doing some shopping that Sat or Sun. See you in Playa

Caroline

Show Low, Arizona
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

Sorry, I posted this from work and my screen name on that computer is beachboundbaby.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

BeachBoundBaby: So you will be there two days before us. I can't wait. Is the Royal Porto Real an All-Inclusive Resort? Is it in PDC? Is it just you and your husband going? It is just my friend Faye and I (Kathy) that are going. Just the girls for this trip. Ought to be a blast. What is your phone number, I will call you. kabrown@bemis.com

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 40 something in Playa del Carmen

BeachboundBaby

You will be there 11-14. Is your resort all-inclusive? I could get the number from the resort and call you and let you know when Faye and I will be inPDC-5th Ave. We could meet at that bar that had the swings. Not sure of the name. We get there on Thursday the 16th-23rd. Would like to meet and have a drink together. My email is kabrown@bemis.com email me and let me know the resort phone number. We are at the Allegro Playacar in the First Club room under Brown. See you next week!!