We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th ave - Tulum

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BC Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
5th ave - Tulum

Can someone verify this for me....ok, so when we want to take a collectivo to Tulum&Xel-ha, we go to where they are..somewhere around 5th ave(does it matter what time? or they just leave whenever?). Then take one to our destination. It drops us off along the freeway, and walk a short distance to the place. Is that sound right so far? I just want to make sure, because i've heard a few different ways to get there. leaving, we walk to the freeway, and wait for a collectivo. They will let us know by flashing their lights if they have room, right? Then let the person know where we are going.?? this probly has been already said previously...but just want to make sure one last time!! thanks :)

ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5th ave - Tulum

The best place to catch the collectivo is in town: (on Calle 2 between 15th and 20th Ave). You will see all the white vans with red/orange stripe lined up in a row waiting for passengers. Essentially, they wait until the van is completey or near full (usually 12-13 people fit) and then it leaves town dropping off passengers along the way to their destinations. Just tell the driver where you want to go before you get on. Remember to tell him that you're going to view the Tulum Ruins and not just say Tulum (they will drop you off in the city in this case). They begin operating very early in the morning and stop in the evening.

For Tulum, you need to walk about 5-10 minutes to the entrance. There is only one street to walk down you can't miss it. You will see the pole flyers there, this is where you can hire a guide, there's food stands etc. From there, you can take a tram (it costs $1-2) or walk another 5 minutes to the actual ruin entrance. Remember to take pesos for your entrance fee, wear a hat, bring water and a bathing suit. Coming back just walk out to where the collectivo dropped you off and wait. We were lucky when we walked out there was one "waiting" for us.

For Xel-Ha, there is a pedestrian path you walk from the freeway where the collectivo drops you off to the entrance - about 5 minutes easy walk. When you're ready to leave, just walk back out the freeway and wait for the collectivo. Again, we left the park at closing and there was one "waiting" again for passengers.

If there isn't one waiting when you return from Xel-Ha or Tulum, just wait. They will stop for you if there's room. Now, I'm not sure if we got lucky or if it's pretty standard for them to wait at "touristy" areas. The whole point is, they make more $ if the van is full, so it makes more sense for them to fill up at one location or along the way. We were abit nervous about taking them at first, but we found them really easy, safe, comfortable AC, and affordable. Have fun!

BC Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th ave - Tulum

ama- thank-u so much for all ur help!! U have been a great help to me!:)