We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

Has anybody that had a reservation at Sunscape Puerto Aventuras been relocated to a Secrets resort in Playa del Carmen? Curious as to what their criteria was to move you. I'm heading to Sunscape end of March and know they're sold out. Should I be expecting it?

Georgia
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

i've got a question similar - how do they choose who to move? is it based on when you check in and what's available at that time or do they know ahead of time?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

We went there on 12/29/05, they had no room available for 3 hours after the check in time. When they gave us the room it was awful, the next mornig we began complaining to the front desk about moving rooms. They kept putting us off we then got the manager, the Apple representatvie, threatened to call our travel agency in US and asked to call the head of Apple in Mexico. All this occurred loudly at the front desk in front of other guests. Within in hour they had called Secrets got us a room, had a car from here take us to Secrets and we were checked in in time to spend the day at the beach at Secrets.

We had a wonderful time at Secrets it is a beutiful resort with NO COMPARISON to Sunscape Puerto Aventuras. It is a no kids resort, so if you have them with you you can not go to Secrets.

Do yourself a favor and cancel Sunscape and book Secrets. Sunscape was just awful, do not risk ruining your vacation by getting stuck there. We were just very lucky........

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

Hey Loco: We checked out on Feb 19th. Flyers were circulated prior to dinner on the 18th. They were offering the transfers to guests already staying in the hotel to Secrets. From what I could get out of front desk, it is a "spa" Resort and it looks pretty upscale. I did see some people making the move just to check it out. I guess it would be a great incentive if you didn't care for "unrenovated" rooms. We personally thought Sunscape was great. If we would have been staying any longer I would have jumped on it just to check it out. Don't worry. You'll love the area.

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocated to Secrets from Sunscape

PittsburgTraveller-sorry about the Steelers, wanted them to win. Did you spend the rest of your trip at Secrets or did they make you come back to Sunscape? I can't cancel and rebook (not enough $$$ for Secrets). We're not taking our kids, so what do you think, should I just ask when we arrive, like I'm volunteering and willing to go nicely? But jagmor, you say I'll like it either way? I noticed you went to Sunscape 2 month after Pittsburg did. This is for my wife's 30th b-day and wanted to get the nicest thing for what I could afford. Thanks for any response.