We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

Hi.. I plan on spending Xmas break in PDC and was wondering hwo gay friendly in general PDC is? I'm not necessarily looking for a Key West or Provincetown atmosphere but someplace that's fun, friendly and doesn't openly hassle gays.

Any advice/tips on places to stay or hang would be helpful.

Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

I cant seem to find any info on gay life in Playa d Carmen. Not that my partner and I are twink circuit boys...quite the opposite. We're two guys in our 40s from San Francisco who are into yoga and ecology....and enjoy a cocktail now and then but dont necessarily live for the bar scene. Any advice on where to stay ? Is Playa not the place?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

I cant seem to find any info on gay life in Playa d Carmen. Not that my partner and I are twink circuit boys...quite the opposite. We're two guys in our 40s from San Francisco who are into yoga and ecology....and enjoy a cocktail now and then but dont necessarily live for the bar scene. Any advice on where to stay ? Is Playa not the place?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

PDC is people friendly period. Theres a small gay bar that my kids and I stumbled into off of 10th ave and calle 6 (I think) and my daughter recognized one of the guys from the entertainment staff of a resort we stayed at the year before. So yes there are gays and its no biggy. We also stayed at the Club Tulum and there was a large lesbian group with their small children staying there and they all seemed to be having a gay old time. (No pun intended). You'll will love it there if you go. There are nice small hotels in town if you are not into the AI's mega resorts. Scroll on the left of this sight and read reviews Im sure you'll find something.

New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

Akamailfreddy,

When are you planning on going? We are going over Thanksgiving week. We have been to Cancun many times and never had any problem. Everyone was friendly. I hear it is the same in Playa. This will be our first time there also. I heard that there are 2 clubs/bars. I don't know if my info is dated though. One is called Bloo on Calle 6th between 20th and 25th ave. The other is called Wana Bana Bar and it is on 5th Ave btwn 30th and 32nd st. I have also heard of one called Playa 69, but I think I heard it is closed, but could be wrong. It is on 5th ave btwn calle 4 and 6. Hope that helps...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

We're heading there in February. Being from SF, we're not used to being in places where gay folks have to hide. All I want to do is get some diving in, do some yoga, see some ruins and not feel uncomfortable being with my guy while I'm enjoying myself. Just sayin'

New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

I don't believe you will have any issues.... There are plenty gay people or gay friendly people around the area, working at the resorts, and visitors. Look for my trip report when I get back after Thanksgiving.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

Playa is a very friendly place. You will see all kinds and types of people. You will not feel out of place at all in Playa. You can also go to any bar and feel welcome. Just go and have a great time!! Playa is wonderful.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

I would agree that I think you will find little or no problem, and that Playa is just so generally welcoming of people of all sorts that you will probably not find it to be somehow gay-incompatible or gay-unfriendly, even if you don't find it explicitly gay-friendly.

That said, I guess you'd have to ask for input from gay people who've been here and experienced it to know! I mean frankly I would have offered basically the same response if you'd asked if Playa was, say, very African-American -friendly, or single female traveller-friendly, or senior citizen-friendly, but I'm not a member of any of those groups, either, and you'd probably have to be a member of them and see things here to know for sure!

Steve

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Vaitape, Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

I worked with a number of folks (from SF) a few years back who were gay, travelled frequently to Playa del Carmen, and loved it. They had been repeatedly and were looking for a laid-back scene with great beach bars, some night life and shopping. I believe they were staying more at boutique hotels than the large all-inclusives... I have no idea if that makes a difference. We're from Berkeley, so frankly we're so used to seeing all types of folks in all types of relationships and families that the only place that has seemed "strange" or overtly biased to us is Sandals (a very weird vibe there, not least because of its insistence on male-female couples only).

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Del Carmen gay friendly?

My daughter and I stayed at a very nice place two yrs ago that was owned by two gay men and it seemed to attract many gay male travelers. We ate dinner each night in there restaurant (fabulous) and were entertained by the most delightful and fun group! We had difficulty choosing to leave them on one or two evenings to go elsewhere for dinner...only because we said..."We can't leave here knowing we only ate at one restaurant!"...the good news was knowing they would still all be there when we returned.

The hotel was hacienda style. Very simple. No frills. I thought it was charming. A very short five minute walk to the beach which was gorgeous - chair and umbrella rentals were about 2USD per day...

and they would come and bring you drinks and lunch if you chose to order. The only complaint I had was with the door locks...but they may have changed them by now. They worked - just not easily.

Ok...so now...the name..."Aventura Mexicana"

Just as a side note...I have stayed in a delightful spot in San Miguel de Allende that is owned by two gay men who go to Playa on holiday...

and love it there ... so I just know you need not be concerned no matter where you go.