We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI with best calm swimming beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
BC Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
AI with best calm swimming beach

I am looking for an adults only all-inclusive with a really calm beach/ocean to swim in in the Playa area, Does this even exist? I went to Club Med Cancun in 1999 and it had a fab swimming beach, probably because it was quite protected. I would also like a nice big pool with lots of shaded palapas or umbrellas to sit under (can't do sunshine for too long) and where I can get drinks with little umbrellas in them! Oh, and some great food too. Any suggestions?

Prince George...
Level Contributor
259 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Maroma Beach is hard to beat. Secrets is there and for a much lower price next door is Catalonia but it is not Adult only.

BC Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Ok, am on it. Will look at both of those resorts. Thanks. Adults only is a must for me though.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Secrets Maroma is a very good resort, but pricey. Stayed at Catalonia Playa Maroma 2 times in December and saw just couple kids there, no biggy for us. All depend on your budget.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Sandos Playacar has adult only section, with nice pool and adult only section on the beach ..

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Catalonia Royal Tulum beach looks awesome. Most of the resorts are situated along open unprotected ocean , there is almost always a good wind blowing , so the water can be rough. Some of the resorts have put sand whales out in front to calm the waters and protect the shoreline from erosion. A few are in fairly protected bays , so the water is calm. What's also important is what is under the water . Is it sand , rocky , solid rock ? Looking at google earth can give you an idea of the geology of the area.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

This may be irrelevant since it's not the Playa Del Carmen area but if you want super calm awesome beaches look at Isla Mujeres. We stayed there for our first time last October and loved the beaches there, hardly any waves and beautiful water. I took a float and laid in the ocean for hours without worrying about currents.

We stayed at one of the few AI's there (Privilege Aluxes) and wouldn't say the food was excellent but overall it was decent to good. They have a really great beach setup with a restaurant right there that will serve you at your lounger or at the tables. The beach lunches were our favorite thing about the resort after the beach. It was much more reasonable in price than other resorts we are used to visiting so we went out to eat at some of the great island restaurants and it was fun, tons within a short walking distance and reminded me a lot of staying in a smaller/quieter Playa Del Carmen.

Edited: 6:33 pm, February 13, 2015
BC Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Oooh Kellie, you have intrigued me now with the Isla Mujeres. It sounds quite amazing. I'm not sure if I'm okay with staying somewhere quite that remote though.....for sure I would go there for a day trip. I'll check out the resort you mentioned though. It might work. I just finished reading two guide books on Mexico trying to figure out where to go....Cabo, PV or Riviera Maya. Since my number 1 priority is awesome calm ocean swimming AND big resort pools with drink service and TONS of shade, it seems like the eastern side is the way to go. Being the introvert that I am, I just really, really hate big huge crowds. I do like being close to restaurants and shops though. Apparently Cabo has brutal rip tides, and PV isn't much better. I have now learned that the Caribbean Sea side of the Riviera Maya is quite rough....obviously cause its right on the ocean....and that if you want calm water its best to stay above Cancun on the Bay....can't remember what it's called. Bay of Mujeres? There are a few resorts up there I see. Can anyone recommend one of them for some people who prefer adults only...or at least a place where they do not cater to kids? At this point we have no budget...probably a 4 star would be fine. For me its all about having safe food and drinks and lots of room to move about and have shaded umbrellas on pool and beach and drink service.

WV
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Swimmable beach, huge pools, lots of food choices, AI, AO, you sound like a person who would live VIM or secrets Maroma. For us the major differences were architecture, footprint and price. We loved both. Privilege Alux on Isla Mujeres is also very good, near to North Beach which can be crowded and shallow a long way out.

Edited: 9:53 pm, February 15, 2015
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,248 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

Calm swimming beach? Don't mess with Mother Nature. Norte Beach on Isla has the best chance because it faces northwest. Luck of the draw with the others.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AI with best calm swimming beach

We've never been to Cabo but have been to PV twice and loved it, but not as much as the East coast. I don't know what it is but the bright blue waters of Cancun/Riviera Maya are like therapy to us.

If you do take a day trip to Isla you can try out the beach and Cafe Del Mar @ Privilege Aluxes and see if it might be a good future trip.

Valentin would also be a good fit but the ocean can get rough there. It's a large resort and never feels crowded to us.

There are two adults only North of Cancun in Playa Mujeres, a Excellence Playa Mujeres and Secrets Playa Mujeres.

If Puerto Vallarta does ever make the list take a look at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta, we stayed there when it was Dreams and loved the beach there. Probably our 2nd favorite after Isla Mujeres. It's not Adults Only but when we stayed they had an adults only pool and adults only preferred tower.

Good luck!!