We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Precautions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wine Country
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Precautions

Hello. I am 4 months pregnant and will be 5 when arriving in playa at the end of next month. my doctor said to be cautious about swimming in lakes, rivers, & the ocean b/c of bacteria (sewage, disease, etc.) & that i could check with the CDC. i can't find anything on their page for the area & was really looking forward to swimming in the ocean. do you think the water is safe? also, what about xcaret? really wanted to do the underground river, etc. any advice? thanks for your time

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Precautions

Was your doctor specifically concerned about swimming _in Mexico_? Because there's virtually nothing on the CDC site that suggests that's a problem, except for one reference to a _fresh_ water possibility (not the ocean).

Main CDC page covering Mexico is

Health Information for Travelers to Countries in Mexico and Central America at http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

Clicking on "Other Health Risks" drops you down the page to the quick comment

"Do not swim in fresh water to avoid exposure to certain water-borne diseases such as schistosomiasis. (For more information, please see Swimming and Recreational Water Precautions.)"

Clicking on the latter link takes you to a link that provides only information that applies to water safety anywhere.

So either he was just talking about you being pregnant and swimming in the ocean anywhere, or (hope not) just another instance of the unfortunately common but unfounded paranoia about cleanliness, especially with respect water, here.

Steve

2. Re: Precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 18, 2009