We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AR
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

I would like to see some ruins while in the Riviera Maya but am not sure about spending the whole day going to Chitcen. Is Chitchen worth the whole day or would Coba be somewhat similar. I was thinking of renting a car and seeing Coba and then stopping by Tulum and Akumal/yal ku(to snorkel) on the way back. That way I get to do 3 things in 1 long day as opposed to only getting to see Chitchen in one day. Thoughts on Coba being somewhat as good as Chitchen?

Alberta
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

I think both ruin sites are worthy of a visit. Chithen Itza is more developed or restored than Coba. Coba is more spread through the jungle and has the highest main pyramid in the Yucatan, the view from the top is amazing. If you only have time to do one or the other I would suggest you go to Chitchen Itza, you won't be disappointed. Have fun !

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

Have not been to Chichen Itza but have been to Tulum and just recently to Coba. We did our trip to Coba exactly as you are looking at doing. Rented a Jeep, drove to Coba, then back to Yal-Ku lagoon. Wanted to go to Akumal to swim also but dark clouds were coming with the only rain of our week long stay in Playa.

We really enjoyed the drive to Coba through some small villages, being able to show our kids the way many really live in Mexico. We also passed up some cenotes I would have liked to dive in. Got started later than I would have liked that day (wife, daughter, no more said).

I like the naturalness of Coba. Still jungle like. if you go to Coba I would highly suggest you pay to be driven around on bikes. They have a seat for 2 in front and a local peddles you around. If you're lucky enough to get a good driver that speaks your language they aslo give you some history of the ruins. It is a long way between the ruins and the paths are very poorly marked with multiple ways to get around. We saw many wandering, looking lost, as we saw them numerous times trying to find their way around. Was told it is over a mile to the last ruin, which is the biggest.

FYI, there is a small lake outside the entrance to Coba and across the road with big gators to see lounging in the sun. Don't pay to walk out on the pier, just wander yourself around the lake

East Brunswick, NJ
Level Contributor
732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

I've been to both Coba and Chichen Itza. If I were to recommend only one to see it would have to be Chichen Itza. Coba is still very much jungle and really not much to see, however, as previously said, the view from the highest pyramid in the Yucatan is amazing. At Chichen there's more to see, more buildings reconstructed, over various periods of Mayan history. Presently, I don't think you are able to climb the pyramid there, but I did a number of years ago. It is a long day, but well worth it.

Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

For wow factor, Chichen Itza is the best. Coba is nice, but no where as impressive. However, Chichen Itza is a full day trip, and might not fit into your schedule this vacation. If it doesn't, there are always other trips, right? :)

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

I think your plan is good. Also consider stopping by one of the cenotes on the road to Coba. Part of the reason is that you can climb the pyramid at Coba but reportedly not at C. Itza.

6. Re: Coba vs. Chitchen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 17, 2009