We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barcelo maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
home
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
barcelo maya

havr you stayed here before where does it compare from the iber. tucan how is the beach and what is a good location of a room to be near the beach. thanks

CANADA
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: barcelo maya

Check out this website for everything and anything you want to know about the Barcelo Maya. Lots of pictures, information and even a message forum to ask questions. There is also a map of the resort on this site. It is a wonderful resort and has one of the best beaches as it is large, almost private and there is snorkeling on site.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/

home
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: barcelo maya

thank you

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barcelo maya

debtee - we stayed at the barcelo maya last march. I believe we were in building 2 - close to the beach, but far away from the disco - which is loud. The only bad things I have to say about this resort is it is completely self-service. For the price you pay to stay there, I expected more. Even to the point of having to call or stop housekeeping every day in the hall for towels in our room. Also it took forever to get there from the airport (if you do the multi-stop transfer). "Concierge" service is non-existent. Never got to eat at the two restaurants. Went to make reservations the morning after we arrived and were told only 9:30 or 10:00 pm on any night of the week. Ridiculous. Other than those things, the beach is beautiful, lots of chairs, always something to do. Hope this was helpful.

Mercury
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: barcelo maya

debtee

The Barcelo Maya is one of the best AIs of the area, and the beach is one of the best if not THE best. They have a small dock at the north edge of the hotel and a tiny island with a palapa some 50 mts from the dock's head. The snorkeling there is really good. At night, if you walk to the dock's head, there are lights directed to the bottom, so you can see lots of creatures, from small fish to nurse sharks.

The whole equipment of the hotel (from water toys to ice machines) is very good.

It has a some downsides anyhow:

-The buffet can get boring, except for the "mexican night". But I'm such a picky eater that I wouldn't take myself very serously on this one, hahah.

-There are no beach shades, only the scattered palm trees and a lonely, tall tree. I even saw people arguing for space under the tree's shadow. So if you're concerned about sun overexposure, bring your own shade.

-The bar (at both sides of the hotel) is too small for my taste, and it get FULL of ppl at times. Only at night they open the theatre's bar wich is bigger.

As for room location, there are beachfront rooms, but they are more expensive, and as they have their pub/disco close to the beach, that area can get noisy at night (it seems that close the disco at 2AM anyhow). If you want a quiet location, the shothernmost building is better, and as far as possible from the beach is even better.

denver,co
Level Contributor
882 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: barcelo maya

I didn't like the Barcelo. It was so far from Cancun and a week was too long. Just got bored. Pool was great but thats it.

squamish, bc
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: barcelo maya

Debtee

We returned from barcelo last week. We were moved from the viva azteca as our group of 60 were not happy with a few things. I thought it was a wonderful resort. There was plenty of selection of food at the Buffet. We ate at the mexican restaurant which was very good. We left a few dollars american everyday for housekeeping and received awesome twice a day service and full stocked fridge. We were in the tulum building which is the farthest from the disco , it was very quiet minus the rooms not being very sound proof. It is a ways from Cancun but it depends if your into the younger club seen or a little more relaxing. I thought overall it was a 5 out of 5. The beach is amazing and you can walk way out and only be up to your waist. Hope you have a great time