We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
wakeman,ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

We stayed at the RIU Yucatan last June. We liked it very much except i thought the food was so-so. We went next door to the Quetzal & we were very impressed. I have since read many negative comments about the unair-conditioned retaurants, etc. so now i don't know what to do? Back to the Yucatan or try Iberostar Lindo, Paraiso Maya ? Help me, people!! we have been to Bahamas many time but like the price & convenience of getting to Mexico. Also, have been reading many complaints about illness that I didn't see before our trip. That is scaring me a little!! Thanks, JoJo L Ohio

veek61
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

we have stayed at the iberostar paraiso beach twice and once at iberostar paraiso del mar. they are adjoining and share restaurants so there's not much difference between them except that the paraiso beach is newer and so we found the rooms to be nicer. since we were last there, they have now built (i think) two more iberostars right near these two (maybe maya and lindo?). we highly recommend the iberostar paraiso beach. each time we went with our two kids - when they were 6 and 7, and when they were 9 and 10, and again at 11 and 12. each time did not disappoint and the kids loved it. the pool is amazing. service was very good, and food was definitely adequate (and undoubtedly abundant). hope this helps!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

The Lindo is beautiful. The restaurants are air conditioned and the quality of food is good. No one in my family got sick and there was quite a variety. The Maya is more upscale than the Lindo and the Lindo is more upscale than the Beach or Del Mar. Although it is more expensive, in my opinion it is worth every cent.

Amsterdam schiphol
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

The lindo is best value for moey in my opinion.

can eat a la carte every night of your stay beautifull grounds and pools and overall the iberostar is amazing!

Peter

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

Last year I would have agreed wholeheartledly. We love the Lindo but it is getting pricey. Holiday for 2007 for the same week, same accomodations, etc. was almost $1800.00 more than what we paid this past year. The A/C restaurants and buffets are definitely worth it in the summer but if we were able to go in Dec, Jan., Feb, etc I think I would opt for the beach or Del Mar. If cost is not an issue then I vote Lindo 100%.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

Since you asked, I would say the Lindo. The place is beautiful and the food is very good. Noone from my family got sick. The staff are very friendly and if you stay at the Lindo/Maya you can enjoy all of the Iberostar resorts (Tucan/Quetzel, Beach/Del Mar, and Cozumel). This was our first all-inclusive trip and didn't know what to expect. Now, we are looking to go back in 2007 because we had a fantastic time. I just hope their prices don't go up any higher. If you are still confused about which Iberostar resort to stay at, check out the Iberostar Boards. It has a lot of useful information to help you decide. Here is the link: http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

We have been to the del Mar and the Tucan. We are returning to the del Mar in October. I like the grounds(more landscaped, peacocks and other birds) and pool at the del Mar. My husband prefers the Tucan. The Tucan is not as big and the grounds are much more jungle like. There are chickens and roosters in the jungle as well as monkeys and other wildlife. The service and food are great at both. The beach is better at the Tucan and it is closer to Playa del Carmen. The pool is bigger at the del Mar. We are going to take a look at the Lindo and Maya while we're there this time to see if we would want to pay the difference. I'll let you know.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

The iberostar forum has a big section where people have written in about their favorite IB resort. We stayed at the Sandos resort right beside the Tucan for 2 vacations so we chose the IB Lindo. It seems that most people favor the Tucan or the Lindo. We didn't choose the Tucan because it wouldn't be that exciting to just move over one resort for our third trip. Besides the Lindo was more appealing to me with more ala carte choices and my hubby prefers the AC and less jungly type environment. I can't wait to see the expression on my son's face when he gets a look at the pool!!!

What I am interested in seeing is the so called "rocks" at the beach. It is humorous to me that it seems like some people think the beach is incredibly rocky while others say there are rocks in the water that are easily to see so you can just walk around them. It cracks me up every time I read the "rock" opinions!!! I also want to check out the Del Mar because in the future that resort might be of interest to us because it is more affordable but I still think my hubby would opt for the Lindo because of the opportunity to eat at the ala cartes each night. For him that is worth the extra $. We'll see...I can't wait!!!!

p.s. originally from Ohio although now I'm an East Coast woman! Go Buckeyes and Yankees!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
429 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

I completely agree that checking the Iberostar board is a great idea. I have used it to gather info on the Del Mar (where I am staying in December). I have been to Playa before, but never to the Iberostar properties there. But my experience in Cozumel with Iberostar was so great I just looked at what Iberostar property had what items and what was the best deal I could swing. At that time, it was the Del Mar. I can't wait!!!

9. Re: which iberostar is best in playa del carmen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 21, 2009