We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If I am not going to RH, then next best???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colorado
9 posts
Save Topic
If I am not going to RH, then next best???

The beach problems worry me at the RH. Where would you go in PDC area that had great rooms, good food and drinks, and great beach? Also, this is an anniversary trip...so not a ton a kids, or at least a resort that has a adult area to get away to. Thought of Secrets, but seems their beach is so-so, and too far away from PDC for me.

Colorado
9 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

I appreciate all of the feedback, even the 'differing of opinions' was insightful. A nice beach is a major criteria for us. We haven't had a really relaxing vacations in 5 years and am looking for the best - beach included. Our dates are not set in stone, so I will keep reading the posts and updates on the beach and decide when it is best to book. Candylady mentioned the possibility of non-AI hotels. Are there any that are really luxurious?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

Hi denver....

Candylady knows it all in PDC and Cancun....I think I read that she has been there over 30 times. She really knows what she is talking about. She's helped so many people with their vacation plans. I hope you get all you want out of a vacation. And you're doing the right thing by reading all the info you can.

It seems like you're keeping your options open. so that should help...so good luck....and enjoy.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

There's really nothing in the Playa del Carmen area that compares to the RH, but there are plenty of good hotels, not luxurious, but very nice. If you're looking for luxury in a resort, try Maroma. Its in Puerto Moreles. Very luxurious, adults only.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

Or Ikal Del Mar, which is closer to Playa looks very nice. We will be going on our honeymoon to both Ikal and then the RH. Maroma would have been our second choice and looked great also.

Frederick, MD
Level Contributor
150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

We're staying at the RH in May for our 10th anniversary. Riu Palace was our 2nd choice in Playa after tons of research. Ibero Tucan was 3rd but we're saving that one perhaps to bring the kids back since it seemed like a more family oriented place.

We also were really high on the Caves resort in Negril, Jamaica and Couples Swept Away in Negril. You probably wouldn't be interested in the Caves since there is no beach. That Maroma resort that Candyland mentioned was a featured resort on the Travel Channel not long ago. It does look very romantic and very nice, but its quite expensive and I don't beleive its All-Inclusive (I could be wrong though).

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

Rob55..you are correct. Maroma is not AI and yes, it's expensive...Ikal Del Mar is also a great place...forgot about that one!

Indiana
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

hey denverdiva, we were at rh jan12-jan19 and had a wonderful, romantic time. we have a toddler and it had been years since we went on a long, couples only vacation. the beach is important to us too but we didn't have an issue with the beach erosion since you could still get to the water and lay on the beach. with only 200 rooms, there was still plenty of beach for everyone and a recent tripadvisor review on rh showed a picture of a nice set of steps they built to get to the water...they were in the process of building this when we were there. also, no kids and wall-to-wall people like we noticed when we walked up and down the beach and saw the riu and iberostar beaches. if a really nice beach is important to you, try cap juluca in anguilla or check out jamaica inn in ocho rios which is on 700 feet of private beach and gives a very secluded feeling...also had great tripadvisor reviews. secrets capri would be a nice alternative if you want to stick with mexico and it's ~$10 cab ride from there to playa (rh was a $4 cab ride). secrets has a reef offshore so that's why the water doesn't look as turquoise and is rockier than the beaches closer to playa. check out the locogringo.com website and click on aerial views of riviera maya in the left-hand column and navigate around and you'll see what i mean. it actually shows the beach areas of the many hotels we're all talking about. hope this helps : )

Indiana
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: If I am not going to RH, then next best???

p.s. the locogringo.com website is not recent but it will give you an idea of reef areas offshore and proximity of other resorts' beaches but not of the current erosion situation.