We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

Even though I am a member of Palace Resorts chain, I am looking at alternative AI's in PDC, mainly because I will be traveling there solo and Playacar Palace does not offer discounts for solo travelers like many other resorts in the area do.

Since I need to be relatively close to the south end of town, I am obviously looking at the Playacar area. Based on price and location, I have it narrowed down to Riu Riviera Maya as my first choice and Riu Mexico as a possible alternative. My goal with price is to get something in the $150/night range since I will be eating at least some of the time in PDC. I also can get a nice room at non-AI Hotel Lunata right in the middle of PDC for under $100/night, so ideally looking at maybe a 50-50 split of my 12 nights between Lunata & a good AI... if I can get a good rate on the AI.

Now to the point of my question: when I look on the Riu official website, I see the normal rate for 1 person in November is ~$223/night, which is more than I am willing to pay. However, they have a special rate for this time period that says "starting at $154/night". This is something I could justify paying and still not feel bad about going into PDC to eat occasionally. However, for some reason I am not able to get this special rate to a reservation page on their site. Every time I click the reserve link next to it, it takes me to the date boxes but when i fill those in, it goes back to the normal rate.

I actually e-mailed both RM & Mexico at the contact e-mail addresses on their site over 4 days ago to ask about this, but have not heard back from either of them yet, which in itself is a bit disturbing.

Bottom line, for those of you who are experts with these 2 hotels, can you offer any advice here? Maybe an alternate e-mail address of an actual person? Or, any other advice or feedback in regard to these hotels and how to get that discounted rate.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

On the riu.com website you're looking at there's a toll free # at the top of the page. Call them. I can't tell you what it is because it's different for Canada and I can only access the Canadian link. But I suspect it could be the lower amount is pp if 2 staying in the room. emailing the resorts won't help because they have nothing to do with the bookings or rates.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

Those are great rates but I couldn't get any to apply either. If you find a way to make it work, please update this post. Thank you!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

So... unfortunately it turns out that this $154/night is actually per person per night based on double occupancy, meaning the weekly rate is $2,156. Riu does actually offer a moderate discount for single occupancy ($1,563 or 28% off the 2 person rate) but that's still not cheap enough to make it worthwhile for me, so I have opted to spend my entire 12 nights at Hotel Lunata. I do find it a bit disturbing that Palace Resorts appears to be one of the only resort chains to not offer single occupant discounts. In addition to this, their newer membership levels and incentive offers for those members have essentially rendered my legacy membership useless as there are constant offers on ebay for less than my member-discounted rates. But alas, that is a topic for another day.

4. Re: Questions about Riu RM & Riu Mexico discount rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 10, 2015