We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaweed

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
seaweed

hi all im looking on webcams and there is a lot of seaweed is this normal or is there a season for it and when will it end many thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaweed

It is a greater amount than normal, here is two excerpts from local news diariorespuesta on this issue...

........The director of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone, Roberto Pérez Briseno, reported that despite several days has been observed the arrival of kelp on the beaches, in flyby was observed that the currents are dragging thousands of tons of material towards our shores, so that I had to double the effort to clean, but the staff will be rough to do so in the same proportion than drag sea to sand.

"Yesterday I did a flyover and saw huge volumes that are floating at sea right now and all I want is the shore; then it must have patience, this is normal and nature sends us messages and we will take this material to strengthen coastal dunes "he said.

He added that "obviously this material will be placed in locations with the least involvement in the beaches because they decompose emanating gases or odors and is buried to disintegrate organic matter being."

He said that currently up to 30 volumes of 25 tonnes per day but this work is insufficient, and take the longest to do that again saturate more kelp.

.........More than 80 tons of kelp was removed from the Earth Federal Maritime Zone of the municipality as part of the long day of beach cleaning instructed by the mayor of Solidarity, Mauricio Gongora Escalante, to preserve the ecosystem and natural environment and maintain the optimum conditions for the enjoyment of visitors.

The director of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial Zone (Zofemat) Solidarity, Jesus Roberto Briseno said the job of cleaning beaches intensified, so more than 90 workers in the office made towards cleaning up the beaches comprising of Punta Esmeralda to the Fiscal Wharf, making the collection of decaying kelp that was later deposited in trenches dug in the sand to complete their natural process.

He explained that this accumulation of seabed is due to a natural process of water purification, which in the rainy season follows seaweed on the sea that have completed their process and current deposits it on the coast to continue his term and by decomposition part of the sandy substrate.

"The mayor Mauricio Gongora is committed to preserving the natural ecosystem process, so through the address Zofemat, we maintain a constant work in cleaning up beaches so they can be nice for visitors," said the official.

He stressed that every day Zofemat address has 40 people, supported by two tractors, a truck 14 feet and two sweepers, perform cleanup actions

Edited: 3:42 pm, August 16, 2014
Newport, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaweed

thankyou for your info

New York, NY
Level Contributor
263 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaweed

Just confirming that there are huge amounts here now. I'm currently in Playacar and the amount washing in every day is crazy. I was sitting at the pool today looking out at the ocean and saw what I first thought was a giant sandbar in the water but it was a literal island of seaweed washing it. It's still beautiful at the beach and the pool but it's keeping a lot of people out of the water and the smell as they tirelessly bury it is gross.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaweed

I too am here in Playacar at the moment and confirm a veritable mountain of seaweed along the shore line and loads more in the sea. It has definitely got worse in the 10 days that we have been here. I must confess that it gives me the heebie-jeebies so I have avoided the sea for the last couple of days! When I have gone in it constantly swishes round your legs and when I take my bikini off at the end of the day I have bits sticking to me! Urgh!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
738 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaweed

just back from Playacar Palace and had all week big clumps. It normally would keep me out of the water but the seaweed that was in front of the PP actually didn't bother me from swimming in it. It wasn't slimy. It reminded me of a shrub like material not a seaweed.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
263 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaweed

I think it may have increased since you left Bucks. The staff at the RPM here was even making announcements about it apologizing for the amount of seaweed here today (not that they could be blamed of course!) They had staff working over time trying to clear the beach but it is, as Justine said, mountains upon mountains of the stuff. They even had guests volunteering to help clear it and an army of staff working all day at burying it to little avail. I've never seen so much! And while it isn't slimy, it will scratch you on occasion in large amounts, I'm a little scraped up from yesterday!

That all being said, once again, beach is lovely to sit on, pool temp is perfect.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,206 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: seaweed

It comes and goes, in unpredictable fashion, much like other aspects of beach conditions, weather, etc. Mother Nature.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: seaweed

hi thanks for all your replys hopefuly it will be gone by October not long now yippee

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: seaweed

Has the seaweed issue gotten any better?

We are leaving tomorrow for the iberostar tucan in playacar and we looking forward to the beach!

Cheshire, England.
Level Contributor
191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: seaweed

Here at the iberostar Tucan now the seaweed a lot better today the sea is nearly clear of it . :))