We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Forecast - June 9-14

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Austin, Texas
4 posts
Weather Forecast - June 9-14

I am traveling to Playa June 9-14 and the weather forecast is showing all rain! I know the forecast is about 2 weeks out and things may change but was just curious if this is common until I get closer to the date. Should I be worried that it will rain the entire time or is this normal?

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,156 posts
1. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

Weather forecasts may be hedging their bets with a possible storm in early June. It doesn't predict anything past June 8/9th

From

wunderground.com/blog/…

Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1

The Atlantic hurricane season starts next week, and the long-range GFS model continues to suggest that the Western Caribbean will be capable of brewing the season's first "Invest" during the first week of June. Residents of Cuba, Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Honduras, and Nicaragua should anticipate the possibility of a multi-day period of disturbed weather with heavy rainfall beginning around June 2

Edited: 1:55 pm, May 27, 2014
chicago
Level Contributor
573 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

There is really nothing you can do about it if it rains. It might rain. It might not. In my experience even when it does rain it doesn't rain all day ever day. Maybe it will rain for an hour or two but not likely all day. I have only had one trip where it rained an entire day. I spent that whole day hanging out at a great bar so it wasn;t a bad day at all.

There is a LOT of chance the forecast will change. I am there that same week. I checked Accuweather and they say rain on Monday the 9th but no other days that week. Weather.com and WeatherUnderground don't forecast that far out.

Don't let it ruin your trip. Don't let it ruin your excitement leading up to your trip!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

I recommend you look at webcams rather than forecasts. I travel to Playa for a month at a time. Most of the time the forecast shows, rain, clouds, etc., however what you actually get is quite different. This past February I swear the forecast for the whole month looked gloomy however it rained only two days out of 30, once only overnight and the other time for about an hour!

chicago
Level Contributor
573 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

very good point/idea mexicojan! like right now it says it is cloudy but when i look at the webcam at the snorkel shop i don't see a cloud in sight!

Edited: 2:52 pm, May 27, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

I am going on Saturday for 7 days to Royal Playa del Carmen. There is like a 90-100% change of rain every day and every night. I am so bummed out. :(

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
6. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

We are in the same boat! Really crossing my fingers that the forecast is very inaccurate. Glad we purchased trip insurance, but I really don't want to have to use it.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
7. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

Unfortunately I don't believe I have insurance. Do I have any options? I did not prepay for the hotel. I do not want to spend thousands on resort/flights just to sit inside all day watching movies :(

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
46,156 posts
8. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

quote: I recommend you look at webcams rather than forecasts.

Outside of the Hurricane season, I agree

From June into November , I strongly recommend you watch the Hurricane tracking web sites

Either the one I quoted above and on June 1st, this is the official site

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
9. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

I'm guessing the week of continuous rain being forecasted is due to hurricane Amanda?

Austin, Texas
4 posts
10. Re: Weather Forecast - June 9-14

I have been viewing webcams and watching reports. The weather is bad now.

Does this mean it is going to stick around next week as well or should all of this be cleared up by next week?

It is hard to tell with all of the conflicting reports. Thanks!