We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Number of nights when booking

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seaside, Oregon
10 posts
Save Topic
Number of nights when booking

I am planning on purchasing a hotel + airfare package for an All Inclusive in Playa Del Carmen.

I was visiting with someone today who said that if I stayed at least 7 nights & 8 days, I would get a much better deal. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck!

What are your experiences when choosing your number of nights when making your booking?

THANKS!

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Number of nights when booking

That's what we've always done. Have been using AppleVacations for the last 11 or so years and prior to that, FunJet. Mostly because of the good prices and the nonstop charters.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Number of nights when booking

The best way I've found to saving money is to fly midweek - prices are often cheaper than flying at weekends.

IME, hotel costs are per night and they're the same whether you stay for 3 nights or 13 (or more).

You can reduce the "per day" cost of your vacation by staying longer simply because you have more days to "amortize" the flight cost over. For instance, if your flight costs $700 and you only say 7 nights, then your flight alone works out to $100/day. However, if you stay for 14 nights, then your flight is only $50/day. Your flight isn't actually cheaper - it just looks that way because you're manipulating the numbers.

Statistics = smoke and mirrors!

That said, there may REALLY be instances when staying an extra day or two really does work out to be better value .... you just have to crunch the numbers and figure it out.

Edited: 11:30 pm, May 17, 2014
Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Number of nights when booking

We have been vacationing in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen since 2005 and have stayed 2 weeks. I think a good number of nights in Cancun / Playa Del Carmen is around 10 and it provides enough time to enjoy the resort, beach, tours and site seeing. Less than 7 nights and you are NOT ready to leave. Look at booking an early flight on a Tuesday (rough it, you can snooze on the beach the first day), with a late return flight on a Thursday. Most resorts will hold your luggage after check out time and you can enjoy a few more hours before heading to the Airport. Remember it will take about an hour (heavy traffic) to get to the airport from Playa Del Carmen and you will need to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight. So an 8am return flight and you will need to be getting up around 4:00 - 4:30am...Yuck!!! The later the better on the return flight.

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Number of nights when booking

I've found the very cheapest time to vacation in Cancun/PDC, is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I was researching a Christmas/New years vacation for our anniversary, which is Dec 30th. The prices then nearly caused me to fall out of my chair. Triple what we want to spend. Then I checked Dec 8th-18th, and that was very doable for us by comparison. We could stay for 3 weeks in early Dec for the price of a week over Christmas/New Years.

We have decided on mid to late January 2015, as our time. Not as cheap as early Dec, but at least then we have a nonstop flight each way. That isn't available in early Dec out of MSP, and yes, nonstop is important to us.

If time isn't of the essence, take your time, and find the best deals, they are out there to be had.

Good luck in your search and have fun counting down the days after you book. I love that part.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Number of nights when booking

Play with the dates. Once I had a tripped book with my daughter. She called from college all excited to say that if we used the cancel for any reason insurance we could add 2 days on the front end of our trip and even with the cost of insurance it would only cost us another $50 each. I couldn't do it because of a work issue but, I always play around with the dates.

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Number of nights when booking

Trucker, I flew non-stop out of MSP on Delta the first week of December in both 2012 and 2013. And to the OP....you really have to check, check and re-check. We have saved money by going one extra day (8 night package was cheaper then a 7 night package). But there are also times when I am paying a package price of say $900.00 pp that works out to $115.00 per night for two people for the all-inclusive hotel portion. When I try to extend the trip by two days, those two days end up costing us $200.00 a night. There truly is no rhyme or reason sometimes. It's all in the research and sometimes just knowing what you are willing to pay.

Savage, Minnesota
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Number of nights when booking

Not anymore MNhasnow. I've checked for Dec 8th 2014. No non stop.

Edited: 8:52 pm, May 19, 2014
bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,559 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Number of nights when booking

November 29th through December 6th (Saturday to Saturday) there are three options that are non-stop. Delta has two flights, one leaves around 7 am and the other around 9 am. Sun Country has one that leaves around 6 am and they also run that same flight (only cheaper) on Funjet.

9. Re: Number of nights when booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, May 21, 2015