We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some observations this week.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Some observations this week.

Huge big hole where Mosquito Blue, Sur's, Lateral, Corazon Calle were located, very deep. It's all gone. The Banamex bank at 12 Calle and 10th is gone. La Pummarola restaurant on 24 Calle is closed.

Couldn't make it to Cannibal Royal beach club, beach was washed out and couldn't get around the mangrove trees.

Fernando who owned the Royal Playa del Carmen and Gran Porto Real passed away.

The new 500 room Hyatt will dwarf the RPDC. Is this why Fernando died?

The new 5th avenue Allegria Mall is pretty cool. La Europa has a huge shop at the back.

10th avenue is all torn up again.

Plank restaurant is just way cool. Stop by and say hello to Emerson the manager. Emerson was formerly the best waiter in Playa. Sad to see him move up on the world, but pretty happy to see one of the good guys succeed.

New Ah Cacao on 5th and 38. It looks like they took over 38 Cocina.

The beach has disappeared in front of Playa Maya but is ok in front of Luna Encantada, it's almost always the other way around. Mother Nature can be cruel. There is a lot of sand floating in the ocean at the moment.

The old ferry terminal to Cozumel is torn down. I'm not crazy about the new white modern design that is planned.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,143 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Some observations this week.

Welcome back OT3

Enjoying my stay at Akumal

Off to the Comedy Fest tonight

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Some observations this week.

Last year they had drawings inside the old terminal. It will be massive, all white, modern and some glasses as I recall I loved that old gigantic palapa.

Yesterday the line to get on the ferry was down the street. I was just trying to get to the beach to Playacar

The beach in Playacar is beautiful. A little wider than last year, about an extra 10 yards. They are stealing Playa's beaches.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Some observations this week.

If i ever bump up my trips to three weeks at a time id love to take in some golf there...grand coral looks great...would love to try out the mayakoba too

Edited: 7:44 pm, May 03, 2014
Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Some observations this week.

"They have...built a white building around the previous outdoor restaurant..."

Well those are just temporary boards, actually, like the ones around the hotel. From what they have told us, their plan in fact is not even to retain (or replace) the palapa the previous owners redid a couple of years ago. FWIW.

Steve

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
248 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Some observations this week.

OT3, Im not familiar with cycles of beach washing in and out, but we are going to stay near Mamitas at the end of this month. At Pubelita Escondido. Should I expect to see a diminished beach front? Should we plan on traveling around to other beaches for our laying around time?

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Some observations this week.

The beach is a little thinner but did not prevent full use of beach chairs at Mamita's or Kool's next door. They don't see the erosion as much in this area. I surprised to see it erode near Canibal Royal beach club. It can change overnight. There was a strong undertow and some rip tides 2 & 3 days ago. The flow changed yesterday and the wind is very calm this morning, practically no waves.

It seemed 5th ave was busier than normal for May. Had dinner with some of kids last night at Mi Puebla up on 34, very beautiful setting.

Played Grand Coral golf club, very nice layout. The wind can be a problem. We should have played this morning in no wind.

philly
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Some observations this week.

Thanks for the heads-up on Plank. Will give them a try when we're in Playa next week. Sounds more upscale than our usual El fogon, Aguachilles, Carboncitos.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,795 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Some observations this week.

No set or predictable cycles to know, Eric. About the closest you can get is to say that in such-and-such a general area, it's usually better later in the year and during the winter than it is in the spring or summer. But even that can't help you know how the beach may be at a specific property within that area that you might be staying at during the specific week or two that you might be there.

It's really like the weather (on which it partly depends): this whole region is generally warm and sunny, but that won't help you know if it will be warm and sunny in the particular part of it you may be in, over the particular dates you are in it.

Steve

Edited: 9:54 am, May 04, 2014
St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Some observations this week.

We went to Carboncitos with the kids. It was a very entertaining night.My kids speak very good Spanish and they made fun of my Spanish accent and many mispronunciations. The cost of dinner is up over past years and they have added some high end items like lobster. We had Jorge last night and he can balance two margaritas and on top of them two beers on top of his head and deliver them down the deep step to our table. We had a lot fun. I ordered the Alhambre de Camarones again, shrimp cooked with bacon, cheese, peppers with guac, beans and a bowl of taco shells, just lovely.

It appears the Big Lobster is closed. I'm worried those rascals moved elsewhere.

Not a cloud on the sky yesterday and the wind came out of the north, just beautifull. Cooler dryer conditions. I'm by the pool this morning and it is spectacular. Good day to snorkel because the sea is so calm and the stron sun should make the fish look prettier.

Tough to use the IPhone right now, so much sun. Eat your heart out Minnesotans.

minneapolis, mn
Level Contributor
796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Some observations this week.

Hey OT, I'm coming down in two days. It's getting nice here in Minnesota now. But, not as nice as Playa. Have fun