We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Marblehead...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Any last minute thoughts or advice? Our first time to Mexco. We have prearranged pickup from airport. Hoping to get a room near the jungle. I hear bringing an extension cord is a must to charge items. And a little flashlight to help dodge the monkey poop on the path at night. I would welcome any suggestions. We are a family of four- two boys, 12,14. To avoid the baggage claim mess, we are going carry on so I have lots of "pouring everything into 3 oz bottles" to do. I feel like I really don't want to overpack. Will I really need a lot of clothes, or more likely live in my bathing suit, coverups and casual dresses in the evening. Do I even need a sweater for evening? We spent two weeks on a sailboat in the BVIs and literally each brought just a backpack. I can pack lightly if needed, so I guess I'm asking… do people dress up? We are a casual group by nature. Any meds I'm not thinking of to bring? (pepto, Immodium, aspirin… Mexico makes me nervous with the tummy)…. Any other advice? What about getting pesos vs. dollars beforehand? And what is a typical tip? A couple bucks to the bartender each round? Suggestions, to make life even happier? (if that's possible after we already escaping the nasty New England winter)…. Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

I'm heading there for the first time at the end of April and just want to mention in case nobody responds here that there is an Iberostar Tucan Quetzal facebook group that's fairly active ...Have fun!!

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Hello! When you check in, just ask for a room that faces the jungle. They've always been very accommodating. I've woken up to see monkeys in the trees right off of my balcony. It's awesome! Also, it doesn't matter if you tip in dollars or pesos. Just give a couple bucks for every few rounds of drinks, a few to the maids, a few for breakfast and lunch and around $5 for dinner. Don't overthink it! Tip as you would at home. You're going to have a great trip!

england
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Lovely place to stay you'll have a great time. If I went back however I'd take ear plugs, I get up fairly early anyway but the wildlife tends to wake up a couple of hours before the humans. An they're noisy!

Chicago
Level Contributor
728 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Make sure to take some mosquito repellant - you can take Off towelettes or small bottles. You will need it at night. We always tip the bartender something like $5 at the beginning of the evening, or, if we are at a table we tip the waitress a dollar or two for a round. We also tip the maids a few dollars every day (on the pillow.) If you plan to go to the air conditioned a la cartes, your husband will need long pants and closed-toed shoes. People don't get very dressed up for dinner, so you should be able to get by with not a lot of luggage. It would be surprising if you didn't get a room close to the jungle at this place. For maximum monkey exposure, ask for a 3rd floor room. If you get a chance, get up at sunrise and quietly sit out on the balcony and watch everything wake up and start moving around. It's really amazing to watch.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

You may want to send an email for verification, but your boys may also need to wear long pants at the a la carte restaurants. I think it's ages 12 and up. Not sure though....

There is a little plaza just outside of the resort (turn right at the entrance, cross the road and it's about a 3 minute walk on the left), for anything you need. Prices are higher than at home, but if you need something for the tummy, it's there and cheaper than in the resort. In all our trips, we've never needed Pepto or Immodium. However, we do bring Zantac for heartburn - from all of the margaritas :)

Edited: 8:59 am, April 12, 2014
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

They have changed the dress code at the restaurants. No long pants required.

New England
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Sent you a private message

Stoneham...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Hi,

this is a great resort, I think you will have a wonderful time...Iberostars do a good job....I have been to this resort 2x and enjoyed it very much...I also pack a bit of a medicine kit, you know the "just in case kit" haha...

Staying at another resort last summer I was bitten by "noseeums??" whatever they may be, not mosquitos, anyway, I was supper itchy and benadryl was helpful but what I really needed was some cortisone cream, cleared up quickly with this, so this is my suggestion....

Have a great vacation :) ps pouring into the 3oz bottles is good but you may want to consider bringing bigger bottles of sunscreen if you check any luggage as it can be a bit pricey

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

Our party of 8 just returned from a wonderful 6 nights at the Tucan/Quetzal. We all went "carry on" with no problem!!! You will need shorts/top or workout clothes to go to the breakfast restaurant in the morning. Then a swimsuit is all you will need for daytime, unless you plan to go into town. For lunch, you can just wrap a towel around your waist and go right in the snack bar/lunch restaurant by the pool. We had fun getting a little bit dressed up for dinner. The men wore khaki bermuda type shorts and a polo type shirt or similar. Sperrys or other closed toe shoe. Gals wore skirts, sundresses or nice shorts/top and sandals. You will not need pants at all. Do bring a sweater. We had 2 cool evenings. Absolutely bring mosquito repellant. We did not and I regret it. We got tons of bites. Big, red, and itchy! As for dollars/pesos- we did bring some pesos from our home bank but it was truly unnecessary. We could have used dollars everywhere! I just wrote a review of the hotel which might be helpful for you. Here is the link: tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

10. Re: Iberostar Tucan- less than a week to go.Some questions…HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 16, 2015