We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Have Questions about Gran Porto Real

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
I Have Questions about Gran Porto Real

I'd rather stay next door at the Royal, but for this trip, we might be taking (and paying for) our son, 20. I guess I'd rather have the $1200 I'd save, to be used for some meals and activity outside the resort. I've never been to the Royal - so I hope I don't know what I'm missing? : )

Never stayed at GPR either -- I am hoping that there might be some other points, besides being cheaper, in its favor for us. Is it more casual? Is there a limit on the ala carte dinner restaurants?

What is the atmosphere --- we aren't looking for party/party/party -- but a nice drinking atmosphere around the pool, with some rock/pop music at all? Is there any kind of a big difference between the beach here and over at the Royal? I know where both of these resorts are -- I just haven't walked right on the beach in that particular spot.

I have read that the GPR is dark, and small --- is that true? I guess I'd pay the extra for the Royal if the atmosphere is going to be far more fun and better, and if the beach is a lot better --- but other than that, I'm thinking that we'll spend quite a bit of time outside the resort ...???

I've read some of the latest reviews, and I just don't know..... I keep comparing it to everything I hear about the Royal -- and then I start thinking I don't want to stay there -- but the Royal is still more than I want to spend on the 3 of us (I'll go back there when it's just my husband and I) so then I start looking at one of the RIU's in Playacar -- which I know are fun atmospheres, but then I'd so much rather be right IN Playa -- and I just keep going round and round.

Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated!

Fort Washington...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Have Questions about Gran Porto Real

We stayed at the royal in September and absolutely loved it. We did go to the resort next door for dinner one night and it was very good. The beach is not much different between the two. We loved the atmosphere at the pools at the royal.

One word of caution, we just returned last week, we stayed at the Paradisus La Perla this time, and we walked on the beach down to the Royal. There is massive construction going on right there. Not sure how noisy that would be, so something to be aware of.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Have Questions about Gran Porto Real

We wouldn't be going until October.

What did you like about the pools at the Royal? I think the pool (do they have more than one) at the GPR are much smaller -- smaller area. Plus kids. I don't know if I can do it. Although maybe there wouldn't be as many kids in October. Decisions/decisions. And confusion. I probably won't make my final decision for about a month, so I might be on here a lot until then. I'm also considering Ocean Maya and a couple of others. Although the beach at Ocean Maya isn't great, supposedly -- and it's not near town. But it is adult only. Agggg.... everything that has everything I want, is way more expensive. Such is life, I guess.

3. Re: I Have Questions about Gran Porto Real

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 31, 2015