We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

Just wondering if you could walk the beach to other hotels from the Mayan Palace? I know it's somewhat secluded, however, according to the maps it doesn't look that far from some other hotels, but that could just be deceiving; that it looks closer than they really are. Just curious!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

Short answer: No.

It IS very much all alone.

You will need to access bus/collectivo service or rent a car if you want to venture outside the hotel.

I advice NOT hiring cabs as they tend to be waaay overpriced and a rip off.

That being said, once you hit the beach take a left (or right) and walk. You will come across other homes/resorts. Some large, some small. Some open some closed down. The beach is public property, feel free to walk it, but don't wander into private property. Nobody likes that.

We took a walk to the right from the beach 2 years ago, walked about 1 hour. We came across families of fisherman, rundown houses and stretches of beautiful white sand beaches. Just gorgeous.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

tinabean: Thanks! I didn't think it was too close to any others, but just thought I'd check! Looking forward to great walks on the beach though!

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

Not remotely close to anything. My brother and his family stayed there last year. We took a Taxi to visit them, and I think it cost $20 US. We took a shuttle bus back, but am not sure of the price as my brother paid. The palace is really nice but we had to take a shuttle car down to the beach. It is a huge complex. Not my cup of tea, but my brother loved it. They upgraded to the Grand Mayan

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

bootsy1957: did your brother upgrade to the Grand Mayan by doing the timeshare pitch? At first, I was not even considering doing this, however now we are somewhat considering trying it to upgrade.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

Annyka,

The hotel is not within walking distance to anything, unless you plan on a trek. The beach is not very nice to walk on at all! Take water shoes, be careful cause I took a nasty fall from slipping on the rocks. Watch out for the mayan crocodile at dusk. Ha Ha

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
525 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

P.S. If you want a nice beach to walk on try Mamitas beach in Playa Del Carmen. We rented a car and had a blast other places. Cancun beachs are very nice. Have a fun and safe trip.

7. Re: Is the Mayan Palace walking distance to other hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 14, 2009